PMS 1.80.0 Won't Connect After Java Update OSX 10.6

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PMS 1.80.0 Won't Connect After Java Update OSX 10.6

Postby Spreken » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Yesterday's Java update absolutely broke the server. After following the 'set up for dummies' page without any luck I did some tinkering of my own. I tried to run the server on my Macbook Air which I hadn't updated yet and it worked perfectly. Then I restored my Java folder using time machine to before the update and it is working again without any issue.

If you have time machine running, just restore the Java folder in your system and you'll be back in business.
Spreken

Postby rajeevp » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:27 pm

I'm running Java 1.6.0_45 for 10.6.8.

Does anyone have the JavaVirtualMachines for the previous version as I did not backup my Time Machine?
rajeevp

Postby Hanoola » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:59 pm

Let me preface this with I'm a total noob but I'm going to share my experience nonetheless.

That said...I had this exact same problem...Java update 15 broke PMS 1.80 on a Mac OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, and I had no Time Machine to roll-back Java.There may be a simpler method, but I can confidently say the following steps restored my PMS completely.

Here's what I did:
1) Download dmg "Java for osx 1.6 update 14" from softpedia here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Uti ... Java.shtml
2) Backup and delete folder \System\Library\Java\ (this may be unnecessary)
3) Backup and delete folder \System\Library\Frameworks\JavaVM.Framework\ (pretty sure this is necessary)
4) Install Java from downloaded dmg (see step 1).
4b) If you continue to get the message that a newer version is already installed...maybe try keep deleting Java folders until the bugger succumbs to your will!

Cheers!
Hanoola

Postby DirkP » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:36 am

Hanoola wrote:Here's what I did:
1) Download dmg "Java for osx 1.6 update 14" from softpedia here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Uti ... Java.shtml
3) Backup and delete folder \System\Library\Frameworks\JavaVM.Framework\ (pretty sure this is necessary)
4b) If you continue to get the message that a newer version is already installed...maybe try keep deleting Java folders until the bugger succumbs to your will!
Cheers!

This definitely seems the smartest and safest way to do it. I replaced the backup copy just to test to see if it would make a difference.
By using the installer, the system 'knows' what java version you are on in case of future updates, while if you just replace the backup copy, the update system may not be aware of that. Mine was a quick fix, this is the smart way.

That said, this latest Java update did patch about 42 potential security issues, so let's hope a real fix is on the way.
DirkP

Postby mystik3eb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:47 am

Hanoola wrote:Let me preface this with I'm a total noob but I'm going to share my experience nonetheless.

That said...I had this exact same problem...Java update 15 broke PMS 1.80 on a Mac OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, and I had no Time Machine to roll-back Java.There may be a simpler method, but I can confidently say the following steps restored my PMS completely.

Here's what I did:

Cheers!

Confirmed! Fixed! Well done, sir!
mystik3eb

Postby Monticello » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:03 am

Same thing here.

Running Lion 10.7.5
Monticello

Postby Ultimate20 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:11 am

I don't have a time machine back up of the java files would there be a way I could download something to replace them or how could I fix this so it works I've been working on this for a few hours now and I can't seem to find a solution, I've downloaded a previous release of java to try to reverse what occurred and I've done every other step
Here is my debug.log

DEBUG 2013-04-18 20:08:39.983 [main] Sending ALIVE...
DEBUG 2013-04-18 20:08:39.993 [main] Error sending ALIVE message
java.net.SocketException: Can't assign requested address
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.socketSetOption(Native Method) ~[na:1.6.0_45]
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.setOption(PlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:309) ~[na:1.6.0_45]
at java.net.MulticastSocket.setNetworkInterface(MulticastSocket.java:536) ~[na:1.6.0_45]
at net.pms.network.UPNPHelper.getNewMulticastSocket(UPNPHelper.java:222) ~[pms-1.80.0.jar:na]
at net.pms.network.UPNPHelper.sendAlive(UPNPHelper.java:169) ~[pms-1.80.0.jar:na]
at net.pms.PMS.init(PMS.java:550) [pms-1.80.0.jar:na]
at net.pms.PMS.createInstance(PMS.java:795) [pms-1.80.0.jar:na]
at net.pms.PMS.main(PMS.java:869) [pms-1.80.0.jar:na]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[na:1.6.0_45]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) ~[na:1.6.0_45]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) ~[na:1.6.0_45]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) ~[na:1.6.0_45]
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:116) [na:na]
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:51) [na:na]
at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52) [na:na]
INFO 2013-04-18 20:08:40.247 [main] The server should now appear on your renderer
ERROR 2013-04-18 20:08:40.248 [UPNPHelper] UPNP network exception
java.net.SocketException: Can't assign requested address
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.socketSetOption(Native Method) ~[na:1.6.0_45]
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.setOption(PlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:309) ~[na:1.6.0_45]
at java.net.MulticastSocket.setNetworkInterface(MulticastSocket.java:536) ~[na:1.6.0_45]
at net.pms.network.UPNPHelper$2.run(UPNPHelper.java:363) ~[pms-1.80.0.jar:na]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680) [na:1.6.0_45]

It goes on a lot further with the same info repeating everything after the ERROR
Last edited by Ultimate20 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ultimate20

Postby Ultimate20 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:20 am

Hanoola wrote:Let me preface this with I'm a total noob but I'm going to share my experience nonetheless.

Here's what I did:

Cheers!

I tried this and it's still giving me the same message
Ultimate20

Postby Ultimate20 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:32 am

does anyone have the Mountain Lion 10.8.3 version of this file?
When I unzipped this it produced a folder instead of just the jdk file i'm not sure if that's the issue though
Ultimate20

Postby rajeevp » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:27 am

Here's what I did:

Cheers!

I'm not able to find JavaVM.Framework in the Frameworks folder
rajeevp

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X Support