FLV won't play

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

FLV won't play

Postby Druxar » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:22 am

I am new to PMS and just installed 1.30.1
I viewed a complete 1 hour AVI no problem but when I went to go view a youtube saved FLV it said the data is corrupted.

I tried searching this forum and google and can't seem to find any leads on how to troubleshoot (if not fix) the issue.
I was hoping there may be some sort of status message in the media server trace window but there's no activity shown so I don't know what the error is etc.

What must I do to get FLV working?
Druxar

Re: FLV won't play

Postby Druxar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:12 am

Ok, so after a week it's still not working and the only posts I ever see are others saying it doesn't work for them either.
Then what's the story, do most people just not bother with FLV? And why is it advertised as one of the file types that can be played if nobody can get it working?
Druxar

Postby Val Killmore » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:26 am

FLV playback has been flaky at best for me over the course of my experience with PMS. I have had a few versions of PMS installed at various points that worked with some FLV files, but I eventually learned to avoid them like the plague. I download mp4's from YouTube if I can help it.

Maybe someone else has some suggestions, but it has always been hit or miss in my experience.

Good luck.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby Val Killmore » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:42 am

OK. Did some experimenting with the few FLV files I have.

They all fail trying to play with MEncoder, unless I disable "switch to TSmuxer if the video is PS3 compatible....."

This forces MEncoder alone to do the work, and doesn't allow for remux. TSmuxer appears to be the issue, at least on my setup. It keeps crashing.

When I disable "switch to TSmuxer......" option, the videos all play fine.

You can achieve the same results by going into the #transcode# folder and picking the option with the round language identifier circle. Might be a white dot, may have a flag in it, representing the language. (American flag for English, French colors for French etc. etc.)

If I do either of these things, my FLV files work great.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Re: FLV won't play -- switch of tsmuxer -- bugfix needed...

Postby mrunix » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Turning off tsmuxer works for me as well.
ffmpeg says it is h264 video and aac audio in a flv container....

h264 / aac is supposedly supported by PS3, but not in FLV format apparently ?
so
Supported: f:flv v:h264 a:aac m:video/x-flv
should work, if PS3 knows the FLV container. but it does not.....

what apparently happens is that PMS sees that it is h264/aac and then switche to tsmuxer, because PS3 can do these two codecs..
if you stop it from switching that, it will tell mencoder to encode it to something PS3 understands (mpeg/ac3)

bugfix would be to check if not only the encoding is supported, but also the container.........
mrunix

Return to General Help and Support