reduce spamming

Post in here if you spot any issues with this forum

Re: reduce spamming

Postby SubJunk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:26 am

Yeah there has been a recent surge in spam here. I'll see what I can do about it tomorrow :)
SubJunk

Postby taconaut » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:09 am

Cheers :)
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby meskibob » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:05 am

Another recent surge in spam for kitchen cabinetry. Are there any updates we can apply?
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby SubJunk » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:40 am

The solutions I implemented on this site were all to do with stopping bot registration and they are still implemented, but of course spammers can always register as a person and then use a bot after that. So there are two easy, non-captcha (my philosophy is never to use captcha) methods to try:
1) Use the same methods I used on the registration form on the login form, so that bots fail login
2) Implement spam detection on new posts, with logic like "if the user has less than 5 posts, each post must contain a maximum of 1 link", or simply that detection of the word "kitchen" twice puts the post into the moderation queue instead of posting it. Lots more stuff to try too
SubJunk

Postby mazey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:52 am

I wouldnt mind being a mod and helping out if you need, i have abit of experience from moderating EDM forums in the past.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:57 am

I don't mind having to remove a spammer every now and then. No matter how hard you try, there will always be a way around all the technical spam prevention stuff.

But what would help us site moderators, is if spam and its spammers were easier to remove. With this I mean that right now, it takes me just under a minute to:

- Examine the poster
- Find all his other stuff
- Ban his account
- Ban his IP
- Delete each of his postings one by one

If there was a button "kill and ban this spammer" on a post that simplified this whole operation to two clicks (click "kill and ban" leads to preview of what will happen with question "are you really really sure?", then finally click "Yes, kill and ban"), it would be way less work to kill spam than to enter it.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby SubJunk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:21 am

There's a plugin for the forum called "One Click Ban" that I use that will make it a lot easier
SubJunk

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:32 am

SubJunk wrote:There's a plugin for the forum called "One Click Ban" that I use that will make it a lot easier

Sounds brilliant! :mrgreen:
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby meskibob » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Did we ever look into the One Click Ban plugin? We're getting a shit ton of spamming over the past week...
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby meskibob » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:12 pm

Thanks to whoever implemented the OC Ban plugin. Much appreciated :)
meskibob

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Issues and Suggestions