Sony BDP-S590

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Sony BDP-S590

Postby Ranger187 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:26 am

SeaFox, I am not renaming over 5,000 files. That's not a wise solution since Twonky already serves them fine (From my Cisco router) to my TV's as is.

I am not familiar with how to force PMS to serve filename.ext to play as an avi. Like a divx file that's named .avi.
Ranger187

Postby SeaFox » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:50 am

Ranger187 wrote:SeaFox, I am not renaming over 5,000 files. That's not a wise solution since Twonky already serves them fine (From my Cisco router) to my TV's as is.

U.S. model Sony blu-ray players do not support Divx video. The software on your Cisco is doing some sort of transcoding to the Divx-encoded AVI files if you can play them back on the Sony BD player.

Honestly PMS should be able to tell the difference. The video stream is marked with a type code (DivX is "DX50" and XviD is "XVID") but the software doesn't seem to pay attention to this distinction. <shrug>

Ranger187 wrote:I am not familiar with how to force PMS to serve filename.ext to play as an avi. Like a divx file that's named .avi.

Well, you could just set it to transcode all AVI files. :mrgreen: Then it would play it back whether it's XviD or Divx (since they'll both be served as MPEG2 at that point).
Intel Core i7 920 - 6 GB RAM - Windows 8 Pro x64 | PS3MS v 1.82 | Sony BDP-S580, Sony BDP-S390
SeaFox

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:56 am

SeaFox wrote:Honestly PMS should be able to tell the difference. The video stream is marked with a type code (DivX is "DX50" and XviD is "XVID") but the software doesn't seem to pay attention to this distinction. <shrug>

You make it sound like it is magic, but it is not. ;-)

PMS follows the instructions that it gets from the renderer configuration file it uses for your blu-ray player.

E.g., if your blu-ray player matches the SonyBluray.conf, it finds the following lines:

Code: Select all
######### NON-US MODELS: CHANGE THE FOLLOWING 2 MIME-TYPES TO m:video/divx
Supported = f:avi|divx v:divx|mp4 a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:mkv v:mp4|divx|h264 a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts

These lines tell PMS in detail what format to match and what to do when PMS encounters this format. See the documentation for the exact details.

Translated, the first Supported line says:

• "f:avi|divx": The format of the file can be "avi" or "divx".
  • "v:divx|mp4": The video codec used in the file can be "divx" or "mp4".
  • "a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3": The audio codec used in the file can be "ac3", "lpcm", "mpa" or "mp3".

When PMS finds a file that matches these three requirements, it assumes the file is supported by the blu-ray player. This means it will stream the file directly to the blu-ray player with a mime-type header of "video/mpeg" (as opposed to transcoding it to the format specified in "TranscodeVideo" first) .

The mime-type information is used by the blu-ray player to recognize what is being sent, and judging by the comments US models of the blu-ray player require a different header from non-US players.

I hope this sheds some light on the inner workings of PMS and provides some pointers to figure out a solution to Ranger187's problem. To me, it sounds like one of the "Supported" lines matches too many formats, and therefore PMS streams content it should not stream.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby SeaFox » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Raptor399 wrote:
SeaFox wrote:Honestly PMS should be able to tell the difference. The video stream is marked with a type code (DivX is "DX50" and XviD is "XVID") but the software doesn't seem to pay attention to this distinction. <shrug>

You make it sound like it is magic, but it is not. ;-)

Bah. You could have just said "Yes, it does."
That occurred to me last night after I told someone else to remove the entire "f:divx" line in another thread.
"Why do I still have entries with 'v:divx' on my own profile then?"

@Ranger187: Try the attached profile. (not sure how long it takes attachments to be approved here)
I also have the Short Name list edited on mine for easier readability on the "-TRANSCODE-" options due to the player interface text size.

Raptor399 wrote:
######### NON-US MODELS: CHANGE THE FOLLOWING 2 MIME-TYPES TO m:video/divx
Supported = f:avi|divx v:divx|mp4 a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:mkv v:mp4|divx|h264 a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts

Note: This code is from the original sonybluray.conf file, and is unnecessary now, as I'm using m:video/divx as the mimetype and both my players are U.S. models.
Maybe it was only the 2010 (BDP-Sx70) model players that needed m:video/mpeg

There are still a couple things I don't believe work yet on the 2012 model players and can't be fixed with just profile changes.
  • Remuxing h264 into a MPEGTS stream. There is some change needed to the DLNA.ORG_PN value being sent for it to work I think. Works on my 580, not on the 390.
  • Playback of AAC audio (all models, not just the BDP-Sx90 ones). MiniDLNA can do it but I don't know how it does it. It gets streamed as VBR AAC, even when the source file is CBR.
Attachments
SonyBluray-SeaFox-2.zip
My own customized profile for Sony BD players I use.
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Last edited by SeaFox on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i7 920 - 6 GB RAM - Windows 8 Pro x64 | PS3MS v 1.82 | Sony BDP-S580, Sony BDP-S390
SeaFox

Postby Ranger187 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:38 pm

The 2012 US models don't play divx. Only the European ones do. I have the US one. ;)

I'll try it today and get back to you.
Ranger187

Postby ExSport » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:41 pm

@SeaFox: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15841&start=10#p76201
Maybe this can be the root cause of the problem too. PMS still not included proposed patch.
If yes, it can be tested by setting renderer to "MediaInfo=false" and playing with changing mimetype if needed.
ExSport

Postby Ranger187 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:58 pm

Seafox, your .conf file BREAKS my functioning .avi xvid play.

Almost every file is non playable with your conf.

Update 1:

BAD
Supported = f:avi|divx   v:divx|mp4   a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/mpeg

To:

GOOD!
Supported = f:avi|divx   v:divx|mp4   a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/mp4

Going to re-mess with Seafox's conf more.

Supported = f:avi      v:mp4      a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3            m:video/x-divx
<---- That DOESN'T work on US players. Not the BDP-S590 (see the topic). ;)
Ranger187

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:41 pm

ExSport wrote:@SeaFox: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15841&start=10#p76201
Maybe this can be the root cause of the problem too. PMS still not included proposed patch.

I just committed the proposed fix.
Thanks for the reminder! :-)
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby SeaFox » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:52 am

Ranger187 wrote:Seafox, your .conf file BREAKS my functioning .avi xvid play.

Almost every file is non playable with your conf.

That's funny. Works for me. I even downloaded my own attachment and replaced the one in my Renderers folder with it. I will note I'm testing this on a 390, not a 590. But honestly, these two players are both 2012 models and the only difference between them is 3D support and the 590 has a display on it. They both have the same file format support.

Earlier today I even went back and unrenamed all by Divx files from .divx back to .avi as they were before. So they all say .avi now.
When I view them on the player, the XviD/AVI files appear as "AVI", while the DivX/AVI files are listed as "M2TS" so they're going to be transcoded. I tried playing files of both types just now and both played fine.

My recommendation is:
  • Make sure you're quitting PMS between conf file swaps.
  • I might also recommend backing out of the server listing on your player and going back in once you have PMS running again (if you left it on a folder view while you quit).
  • Make sure there you have the current player firmware.

Ranger187 wrote:Update 1:
BAD
Supported = f:avi|divx   v:divx|mp4   a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/mpeg

To:
GOOD!
Supported = f:avi|divx   v:divx|mp4   a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/mp4

You don't want divx listed as an f-type. That would be a .divx file. And if your player doesn't support divx video you don't want Divx listed as a v-type either. This was the one change I made to my original custom profile file after Raptor399 pointed out the obvious thing I'd been missing. And with that change I can stop renaming divx-encoded AVI files and take off the force encoding I had set for .divx files on PS3MS.

Ranger187 wrote:Going to re-mess with Seafox's conf more.

Supported = f:avi      v:mp4      a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3            m:video/x-divx
<---- That DOESN'T work on US players. Not the BDP-S590 (see the topic). ;)

*shrug* I'm using U.S. model players.
I sincerely doubt Amazon would go to the trouble of stocking Region A BD players flashed with foreign firmware in the middle of the United States. My conf file is actually based off Axcess_Denied's conf, he listed it that way: see here. When it made my AVI's appear as "AVI" listings on the player and they still played fine, just like they did when they used to appear as "MPEG" with the original conf file I didn't see any reason to change it back. But I had seen the MIMEtype change note Raptor pointed out before, which is why I suspected he was not using a U.S. player.

Not to editorialize this (and not picking on you). But these 2012 model players are a PITA to deal with on this stuff. My 580 played everything with the original conf file, and plays it with the new one, too.
SeaFox

Postby Ranger187 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:27 pm

It's sad when my Samsung TV can stream almost all those files by default and my Sony device tosses up the middle finger.

I'm still new to this f/v config setting so it's a learning curve. I'll throw some more edits at it today and post the results. I need to buy a damn laptop so I don't have to run up 2 flights of stairs to check. RRRG!
Ranger187

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers