Easy setup guide for Ubuntu / Debian (DEB packages and repo)

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Easy setup guide for Ubuntu / Debian (DEB packages and r

Postby Fansworth » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:10 am

Hi, i was trying to install on Debian Wheezy following this guide but i received "Error 404: Not found" when executing "wget https://launchpad.net/~happy-neko/+arch ... _amd64.deb".

Isn't the .deb available for Debian anymore? Should i install another package?

Thank you! ;)
Fansworth

Postby Schmiilblick » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:44 am

Fansworth wrote:Hi, i was trying to install on Debian Wheezy following this guide but i received "Error 404: Not found" when executing "wget https://launchpad.net/~happy-neko/+arch ... _amd64.deb".

Isn't the .deb available for Debian anymore? Should i install another package?

Thank you! ;)

Try with this instead :
Code: Select all
wget https://launchpad.net/~happy-neko/+archive/ps3mediaserver/+files/ps3mediaserver_1.54.00%2Bgit%2Bmencoder34587-1oneiric1_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i ps3mediaserver_1.54.00+git+mencoder34587-1oneiric1_amd64.deb
Schmiilblick

/etc/default/ps3mediaserver not present

Postby jonb » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:20 am

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help with this, but I have just installed the latest version of PMS using the repository and the file /etc/default/ps3mediaserver is not being installed/generated. This is a headless Ubuntu box (Server 12.04 LTS Precise) - so even if I attached monitor and keyboard to it, I don't have a GUI to play with.

I'm not sure if the package is broken, or whether my installation failed. Does anyone have a copy they can send me?

Cheers, Jon
jonb

(NOT) Easy setup guide for Ubuntu/Debian (DEB packages and r

Postby jonb » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi,

So I've been trawling (not trolling) through these posts to find out why my DEB packages install on 12.04 LTS Precise wasn't working, and I've got a few observations:

(1) the package *may* currently not being developed/supported - last post by happy.neko was July 2012
(2) recent posts talk about having to use the manual install (using tar.gz) to get things working, perhaps supporting point (1)
(3) the upstart process doesn't seem to work with recent DEB packages
(4) people are using a combination of hand restarting and init.d scripts to get things working (not ideal).

It would be great if someone could start a new thread explaining exactly how to get PS3 Media Server working in 2013, and save people a lot of time and effort on trying to get the ubuntu / debian package to play nice.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I really appreciate the time and effort people have put into getting a streamlined install on Debian / Ubuntu, but we need some clarity on what's the best approach now.

Cheers, Jon
Last edited by jonb on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonb

Postby drehg » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:19 am

I second Jon- I have been using PMS for a number of years - from before the advent of the .deb packages. I was pretty happy when happy.neko started making the packages... it made it so much easier to deal with the dependencies. But, the last Ubuntu specific release was 1.71, and was published only 4 days prior to 1.72.

I also do not want to to sound ungrateful, or rude. But, I would be interested in upgrading. And while I am comfortable with manually installing/upgrading/rebuilding the dependencies, not all of the users on the list are, and I cannot seem to find any documentation on the minimum version of the dependencies to use, or which version to avoid.

Thanks
drehg

Postby PhotoNate » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:35 am

I understand development has slowed, but will any new updates be pushed to happy-neko? It's much easier than using a tarball
PhotoNate

Postby abssorb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:35 am

Post #1 promises.....
happy.neko wrote:Ubuntu users can install PS3 Media Server (and keep it up to date) automatically with simple command:

Unfortunately the repo is not up to date. In Ubuntu 12.10, the repo downloads v1.7.1. If the repo is not going to be kept up to date that's fine, it's easy enough to install from the tarball. However I think that if the promise has expired, it would be fair to reword it to make it true. A lot of people only read post #1 of guide threads. :D
abssorb

Postby happy.neko » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:40 pm

PS3 Media Server 1.81.0 is up for Ubuntu 12.10.
If you have problems with streaming after update remove your old config (
Code: Select all
rm ~/.config/ps3mediaserver/PMS.conf
via terminal), restart ps3ms and re-enter your config options via GUI.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby happy.neko » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:49 am

Packages updated with VideoLAN dependency to support new vlc transcoding engine.
And PS3 Media Server 1.81.0 is now available for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS too.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby happy.neko » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Ubuntu 13.04 was released today.
PS3 Media Server packages for this distribution are already in the repository.
happy.neko
Project Member

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support