Sony BDP-S590

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Sony BDP-S590

Postby Ranger187 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:54 am

Can we finalize this?

I just bought this Blu-ray player and Twonky (Via my Cisco EA4500) does a better job of streaming with NO configuration changes. Yet UMS can't play any files unless I go to the transcoding folder and play via FFmpeg or something.

What do we (I) need to do, to get a SOLID conf file that can be packaged with a future release?

If someone here tells me what to do and works with me, I'll put the effort in to try any changes needed.

LET'S GET A SOLID CONF FILE PEOPLE! I'm sick of reading 15 "methods" that work, yet nobody has stated which method truly works.
Ranger187

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:01 pm

Ranger187 wrote:What do we (I) need to do, to get a SOLID conf file that can be packaged with a future release?

Basically, just get that conf working and confirmed as working.
Then just post it here and we will pick it up.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby Ranger187 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Raptor, how am I supposed to do that when I don't know what to do... Or change it too?

I didn't design UMS, thus how would I know what to do with the config....

Some help/insight here would be appreciated... It's the same thing as a mechanic taking his car to someone with no mechanical knowledge and saying: "You fix it and tell me what you did..."

I'm an IT person, but I never dealt with video stream/config.... So at least give me USEFUL info I can use to troubleshoot this...

Thanks!
Ranger187

Postby Raptor399 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:23 pm

Oh, I thought you were asking: "How can we add a .conf to a future release". ;-)

I don't have a Sony BDP-S590, so I don't have useful insights to add to this discussion.

Ranger187 wrote:I'm sick of reading 15 "methods" that work, yet nobody has stated which method truly works.

Sounds like there are plenty of suggestions already available.

What I would do if I were you?
I would see how far each of those 15 methods get me (keeping an eye on the debug.log), then try to combine their logic in a fresh renderer.conf and get the best possible outcome for my situation. Once satisfied with the results, I would post them here.

Hope that gets you started.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby Ranger187 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Changing:

Code: Select all
upported = f:avi|divx   v:divx|mp4   a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/mpeg

To:

Code: Select all
upported = f:avi|divx   v:divx|mp4   a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/mp4

Made it play a lot of files off the bat. But a lot still won't play. Twonky (on my Cisco Router) will change all the movies to AVI and stream them all..

How can I force the remaining mpeg files to AVI?
Ranger187

Postby PhotoNate » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:30 am

Good luck trying to get a best .conf file. All the proposed edits I've seen in this thread are pretty bad, most break compatibility totally. I think people propose edits before trying any of it out, because literally every suggestion in here has made the streaming much much worse. I wouldn't base any new or improved .conf on anything in this thread

Ranger187 wrote:LET'S GET A SOLID CONF FILE PEOPLE! I'm sick of reading 15 "methods" that work, yet nobody has stated which method truly works.

That's because none of the "methods" work at all, or for more than one or two files. Mostly people playing with things they don't understand at all
PhotoNate

Postby Ranger187 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:33 am

My previous reply before yours is the ONLY edit thus far that fixes part of the issue. And I've proven this with 2 of the BDP-S590's I've just bought.

.avi's that are encoded with xvid now play.
.avi's that are encoded with divx won't play.

The only other one that needs adjusted is making .avi's that are divx (not xvid) transcode/play...
Ranger187

Postby PhotoNate » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:17 am

You're doing God's work. I really shouldn't think it would be impossible to get some reliable streaming here. I know the S590 is a POS compared to any sort of real dedicated media device, but I would really like to get some more use out of it.
PhotoNate

Postby GameraFan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:36 pm

fwaits wrote:So I added this line to the SonyBluray.conf that I was using and now it works with v1.72 as well. Here is the final code in the SonyBluray.conf file

Just wanted to say thanks for your conf. Works perfectly on our S390.
GameraFan

Postby SeaFox » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:23 am

Ranger187 wrote:My previous reply before yours is the ONLY edit thus far that fixes part of the issue. And I've proven this with 2 of the BDP-S590's I've just bought.

.avi's that are encoded with xvid now play.
.avi's that are encoded with divx won't play.

The only other one that needs adjusted is making .avi's that are divx (not xvid) transcode/play...

Does PMS have a way of actually telling the difference between the two codec types, though? They are very similar.

My solution was just to rename those files that use Divx video to .divx instead of .avi and set PS3MS to always transcode .divx files.
Other video playback apps on the computer recognize .divx as a file extension already.
Intel Core i7 920 - 6 GB RAM - Windows 8 Pro x64 | PS3MS v 1.82 | Sony BDP-S580, Sony BDP-S390
SeaFox

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers