MKVs with multiple audio/subtitle options?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

MKVs with multiple audio/subtitle options?

Postby AniDanny » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:34 am

I have a video I want to play over PS3 Media Server. This particular mkv has three different audio languages and at least two different subtitle languages. Normally I would convert these to .avi or .mp4 files and put them on the PS3 via a USB stick, but with the multiple languages and subtitles, I can't choose the right ones to convert to a different file type. I was hoping that by streaming over PMS, I could select the desired audio and subtitle languages, but I couldn't find any options on PMS or on the PS3 to switch away from the defaults. Does anyone know how to fix this?
AniDanny

Re: MKVs with multiple audio/subtitle options?

Postby ExSport » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:04 pm

When you are using direct streaming, you can change audio channel via PS3 remote.
When remuxing, it works same way but you need to tick "remux all audio tracks" on txMuxeR tab.
When TRANSCODING, you can only play one audio tract at time. Which one is dependent on your audio lang preference or your manual choose from TRANSCODE folder.
ExSport

Postby AniDanny » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:37 pm

The only option I saw from the PS3 menu was to change audio to "left" "right" or "left & right", which I assumed was stereo or mono setup? How do I choose audio tracks? And is there no way to choose subtitle tracks?
AniDanny

Postby ExSport » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:57 pm

If you see left+right only then:
- you are transcoding=only one audio for transcoded material
- you are remuxing but you didn't enabled "mux all..." as I advised
- you are directly streaming but your video has one audio track only
About the SUBS, Ps3 doesn't support subs so you can't select them via remote. But you can set them via preference settings or manually choosing them in TRANSCODE folder.
ExSport

Postby AniDanny » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:45 pm

I don't think it's any of those. I'm not DOING anything to the .mkv. I don't know what transcoding or remuxing are, and when opened in VLC, it has multiple audio and subtitle tracks, but when streamed through PS3 Media Server, it just uses the tracks that it wants to use and there's no option to change them anywhere. :\
AniDanny

Postby ExSport » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:57 pm

So read FAQ or use google to find out what is the difference between remuxing and transcoding.
Also in FAQ you should find what is required when you ask for help (hint: debug.log file)
ExSport

Postby Jalaco » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:13 am

Is this possibly what you are looking for?

http://imgur.com/L19NYRr

My anime was playing dubs when I wanted the original Japanese so I went in and moved "jpn" before "eng". It seems to have reverted after I restarted the program but it worked for me last night. Hope that helps! =]
Jalaco

Postby ExSport » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:22 pm

It is not debug.log but also this screen shows incorrect settings.
Setting the audio preference and sub preference is ignored when you will set *,* in audio/sub preference because this line is preferred. *,* means play any subs for any audio what is not what we wants.
Change it to e.g. en,off which means disabling subs for English audio if present.
Then your separate subs setting will not be ignored.
But the best way is to set audio/sub combination only.
So if en is your native language but not jp you should set eg.:
en,off;ja,en;*,off
It means for en audio disable subs, but if not present try to load en subs for jpn audio. If none of them found, disable subs for any audio (*).
Above is only an example how the logic works.
This logic works only when MEncoder engine is used, it means file is transcoded/reencoded. It is only solution how to display subs,burn them in video.
2char and 3char lang codes:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes
ExSport

Postby AniDanny » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Jalaco - that fixed half of it, thanks! I got the audio to be in Japanese, but I can't find any way to make subtitles appear, no matter how I arrange the priority... Any more ideas there?
AniDanny

Postby Jalaco » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Alright can you see the subtitles on the computer? If so then I would suggest trying it with only and without the "Use ASS/SAA subtitle styling" and editing the "sub margin"s and "font scale"s. You could also try changing the "add borders for overscan compenstion" options, this likely will not work unless the subtitles are hardcoded into the video (like .avi and such which have the subtitles on each frame of the video instead of redered afterwards from a section seperate from the video). Have you tried other files? Even other files in the same series, it could have a corrupt subtitle section. There are some idea's. My guess is that there is something wrong with the file, either its corrupt, or the subtitles are different from the norm causing transcoding issues.
Jalaco

Next

Return to General Help and Support