Increased Ram now playback jumpy and skips

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Increased Ram now playback jumpy and skips

Postby Sfenness » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:02 pm

I currently am running Windows 7 x64 and just increased my ram from 8gig single chanel to 16gb and turned on dual channel, now all playback of any file starts fine but after a couple minutes it starts jumping around different times and skipping ahead each time. Any thoughts? I tried a few different fixes, increased buffer size, switched ports, but so far nothing has worked. Any help is appreciated!

Edit for clarity:
Psm worked fine for years for me, the only thing I changed was the ram. I un installed Psm and Java and installed most current of both but the problem is still there.
Sfenness

Re: Increased Ram now playback jumpy and skips

Postby ExSport » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:19 pm

By default PMS uses 768MB of heap size whatever RAM you have installed.
Check the FAQ how to change heap size on 64 bit systems with 64bit Java.
Increasing buffer size makes it more "buggy" with default heap size = how much max memory can Java allocate/reserve.
ExSport

Re: Increased Ram now playback jumpy and skips

Postby Sfenness » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks, that was one of the first things I tried but maybe I didn't do the java part right, i will have to double check.

ExSport wrote:By default PMS uses 768MB of heap size whatever RAM you have installed.
Check the FAQ how to change heap size on 64 bit systems with 64bit Java.
Increasing buffer size makes it more "buggy" with default heap size = how much max memory can Java allocate/reserve.
Sfenness

Return to General Help and Support