Undetermined audio streams with VOB files

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Undetermined audio streams with VOB files

Postby Karis » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi,

I have a video with 2 audio streams, english and german, encoded as VOB. The default stream (the first one) is english. That one plays well. The german audio is not reachable, the transcoder gives me two choices: mencoder/AC3 undetermined * and mencoder/AC3 undetermined * (yes, two times the same). If I encode the VOB to an ISO file, the audio streams are recognized correctly as mencoder/english and mencoder/german, but I cannot play the video (iso problem). So the information must be there, but how do I have to configure PMS to see the different audio streams when playing the VOB file??
I added VOB to "Force transcode ..." and tried to play around with audio language priority (ger,eng ... ger,und ... ger... und...), nothing worked.

Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Ciao,
Karis
Karis

Re: Undetermined audio streams with VOB files

Postby meskibob » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:19 pm

And you've played both? One of those is the english, the other is the german. As you've seen, you'll need to reencode the file if you want to correct the language tags so PMS can automatically pick. How you should do this or what program you should use are outside the scope of this forum.
There's nothing you can do in PMS to have it distinguish one unidentified language track from another.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Karis » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks for your fast answer.
Yes, I played both with VLC, both audio streams are available.
Could you please give me an hint how PMS detects the language tags? This will be helpful to learn about coding the files correctly for PMS.
And, of course, even if it is beyond this forum's purpose, I'm thankful for any coding hints.

Ciao,
Karis
Karis

Postby meskibob » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Take a look at the MediaInfo - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=496 (part 7a)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Karis » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks again.

I learned the information about the audio stream languages can be found in the .IFO and .BUP files, so it seems necessary to reencode my files to something like .avi or .mpg or .mp4 to bring the things together, since PMS is only interested in the .VOB file.

I'm just curious: why doesn't PMS touch the .ifo and .bup? From my point of view it makes sense to do so.

Cheers,
Karis
Karis

Return to General Help and Support