New to Java development.

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

New to Java development.

Postby dmitche3 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi all,
This is my first attempt at developing/debugging in Java and I'm having a bit of a problem getting the IDE (Eclipse) and tools setup, or getting them properly setup. :)
While I've managed to do the simple DOS shell command, pull down and compile with MVN, etc. I'm having troubles with the steps in the documentation that noted below. I believe that i have m2e and egit installed within Eclipse but I'm not sure how to test it.
The steps in bold below have me for a loss. I believe that I've added the repository correctly, but when I try the next step there is no "Import Maven Projects". There is an "Import projects" but I'm don't believe that is correct as there's not much I can do with that option.

Press the right mouse button on the repository and select "Import Maven Projects" from the menu. Select the project "/pom.xml" and press "Finish".

Any help please?
Thank you!
dmitche3

Re: New to Java development.

Postby dmitche3 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:19 pm

After further review ... I think that either m2e or EGIT are not installed properly. Both say they are installed but as the next instructions mention the following and I don't have those options either the documentation is old and something had changed or my installation failed. :(

Snapshot of what I see attached. I don't see the documentation below. At least I can compile and run. ;)

You now see the sources in Eclipse, but the project is still missing the "Git" nature. In other words, it is not tied to the local repository yet. This means you cannot perform any Git actions from Eclipse yet. Add the missing connection by sharing the project:

Press the right mouse button on the newly created project and select the menu "Team > Share Project...". Select "Git" and press "Next >". Check the checkbox "Use or create repository in parent folder of project" and make sure the project is selected. Then press "Finish".
Attachments
eclipse GIT options.jpg
eclipse GIT options.jpg (19.75 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
Eclipse pic.jpg
Eclipse pic.jpg (149 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
dmitche3

Postby Jacob- » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi,

I had the same problem. Following the instructions on this SO answer helped:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/12021728/653298
Jacob-

Postby dmitche3 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks! I'll take a look at it later. I'm not sure that at this time that I care to post back my changes. I'm still deciding if I want to contribute. Well, contribute very much. :) I've debugged and I'm working on a thumbnail issue with 2012 Samsung TVs. I have a very crude implementation of thumbnails working but I may just post it and let someone else review the code and merge it. I'm new to Java, Eclipse, and opensource having worked nearly my entire life with MS IDE, SCCS, and PVCS I'm familiar with the most of the concepts going on here. With the exceptions of the auto-updating. Not sure how that works and I'm I think that I'm glad that this area hasn't been working as I don't want my environment changing as I'm trying to debug something. If that is what auto update does. :)
dmitche3

Return to Developers