MKV files go much FASTER !!!!!

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

MKV files go much FASTER !!!!!

Postby Adam_Jones » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi, I've been using PMS for a longtime and there's something I still don't understand ! Why MKV files go berserk all of a sudden whereas I'm almost at the end or in the middle of a movie or TV show ?! I'm using the 1.54 version which is to me the best one, I formatted my computer two days agho and when I installed PMS things went worse than before !! Sound is not synchronised, Video goes faster for no reason, I searched on the web for answers, applied the settings and...nothing's better !!

I use Ethernet cable, I got a LaCie HDD 2 Tb on a USB 3.0 PCI card and use CCCP codec pack, I can't watch anything till the end which very frutrating !!

Where have I gone wrong ? Thanks !
Adam_Jones

Re: MKV files go much FASTER !!!!!

Postby CyberVike » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:02 am

This doesn't answer your question I know but every MKV file I try to play past version 1.54 always starts to stutter about 1-2 minutes into the movie. File size doesn't seem to matter. As soon as I go back to version 1.54 the movie plays fine.

Just wondering if I need to change some setting. Seems odd that newer versions struggle with these files yet this older version plays them without issue.
CyberVike

Postby drrevenge » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:40 am

I too have the same issue. It's only been in the last couple of months though. I tried upgrading my Java (now onto version 7, Update 10), my version of PS3 Media Server (1.72) and I still have the problems where the audio will stay at the constant speed, but the video just speeds up for no reason. I believe it's going through memcoder (which I've set to default) but even trying to use AviSynth/Memcoder has the same issues, or FFmpg doesn't even play the file.

If however, I stop the file, and re-enter the file (which takes me back to the start) and press the Square button, I can go back to that point in the file and it's ok for a bit, but then I have the same problem again.

The traces log shows no errors at all to indicate what's going on. I can post a debug log if that helps.

I am running Windows 7 x64 Professional, 8GB of RAM, Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8Ghz. Wired 1GB connection to the PS3, even though PS3 Media Server reports it as 512Mb/s. I've set both the PS3 and NIC to 1GB Full Duplex, but 512Mb/s should be more that enough to network bandwidth to prevent this issue.

I think it's got something to do with either AC3 or AAC audio, because I was comparing two video files I downloaded using the Media Info application recommended off the bug page and the one that works has both an AC3 and a AAC audio stream, and the one that has the audio glitch only has the AAC.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. I've had a look around, and I can't really find anything that matches, other than this thread!

EDIT: I tried unchecking the "Keep AC-3 track" option under common encode. Didn't make any change. :(
drrevenge

Postby volando34 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:53 pm

I'm in the same boat as you guys. First all, 1.72 is completely unusable. MEncoder often crashes (actually shows a separate windows crash notification), files jump around, the application often crashes in the middle of playback and everything lags like crazy. 1.54 has some problems as well, but works in a MUCH more stable way, especially for MKV files...

When having problems, I usually switch to TMuxer and if it plays at all, the issues go away, which I guess makes sense given that the PS3 itself decodes the material. Reading around the forums, seems like that's a suggested solution for a lot of users... why can't I make it the default option? Having to go into #TRANSCODE all the time is annoying and I forget.
volando34

Return to General Help and Support