Inconsistent lagging/stuttering

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Inconsistent lagging/stuttering

Postby dannovarius » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi! I've been using PMS for over a year now but have never felt that I should bother you guys here at the bord with my problems but I've been considering to donate lately and that has got me thinking that maybe I kinda deserve some help.

Well, my problem is this:
Some times streaming high bitrate movies (6gb or so in size) works just fine, but as many times they just stutter entirely. I get the feeling PMS is a "mood player" and sometimes just can't be bothered to work properly. I can for example stream a heavy video one day (6gb mkv) without problem and the next it won't play a 250mb .avi without stuttering like mad! It's the inconsistency that makes me crazy about this! If some formats never worked or some bitrates never works, that's fine. I'll understand it. But when something works fine one day and doesn't work the other day, well that's when i just wanna claw my eyes out.

I'm using a PS3, desktop with a C2D 2,66mhz processor, 4gb RAM and the whole thing is wired with CAT6 cable. The transcoding buffer s set at 600mb and fills up nicely (that's how It's supposed to be right?).

I've read through the faq without not really finding any faults, and honestly not understanding all of it either. Can anybody help me?
dannovarius

Re: Inconsistent lagging/stuttering

Postby Madoka » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:26 pm

dannovarius wrote:but I've been considering to donate lately and that has got me thinking that maybe I kinda deserve some help.

Are you going to donate to me if I help? :D
Madoka

Re: Inconsistent lagging/stuttering

Postby dannovarius » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:59 pm

Are you the one who has written PMS? It wasn't supposed to be meant as a bribe. What I meant was that I like the initiative with PMS and the thought behind it but I wouldn't donate to support it until I consider it to be a fully useful product. You don't pay for betas you know.
dannovarius

Return to General Help and Support