PMS connects once

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PMS connects once

Postby tangles » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:18 am

Yesterday installed PMS 1.72.0 (d9fd0a44c) on a Win7 machine to export content to a Sony Bravia TV. It worked the first time, but when I tried using it today it would not connect (it displayed a "no renderers found" warning).
After rebooting Windows it connected, but would not connect a second time.
The problem appears to be multiple instances of javaw.exe. Each time PMS starts it creates a new instance of javaw.exe. If I use Task Manager to delete all the instances of javaw.exe and then restart PMS it works fine. Do I have a setting wrong?
tangles

Re: PMS connects once

Postby meskibob » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:00 pm

How are you closing PMS and starting it? Just hitting the "X" on the top right of the GUI minimizes it to the system tray. To actually close PMS, you need to hit the "Quit" button in the GUI or right-click in the system tray and hit Quit.
Are you running PMS as a service?
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby tangles » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:04 am

I hadn't realized hitting the "x" minimized it to the tray. The first instance was obviously still running when I tried opening it by clicking on the desktop icon. I will try to set it up as a windows service. Thanks for your help.
tangles

Postby tangles » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 pm

I set "start minimized" in the PMS General Configuration tab, saved, and then put a shortcut to PMS in Windows...Start...All Programs...Startup. PMS now starts when Win7 is booted, connects and lives happily in the system tray.

I don't want to teach grandmothers how to suck eggs, but I have spent a lot of my life writing software and trying to make it idiot proof. Newbies (like me with PMS) do silly things and the code should handle it. When PMS is terminated with extreme prejudice (the big red button) shouldn't it also shut down javaw.exe? Alternatively, when it starts it could check if javaw.exe is already running.
tangles

Postby meskibob » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Closing PMS with the "Quit" button (that's not a task kill, it's a proper closing) should close javaw.exe. If it's not, please replicate the issue and provide the debug.log.
However, if you're running the service (which you hinted you might install), quiting the GUI will not stop the service. To stop the service, you need to go through the standard Services dialog and stop the service there.

You're allowed to run multiple instances of PMS as there are several people who run different instances on different NICs for different devices using custom profiles.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support