Should I install on my HP Media Server? Java concern.

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Should I install on my HP Media Server? Java concern.

Postby kronos1962 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Hello everyone I noticed as I was finishing up the install process that PMS wanted to download and install Java.

Should I?

I’ve always thought of Java as being a big potential security hole.
kronos1962

Re: Should I install on my HP Media Server? Java concern.

Postby meskibob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:37 pm

Java is required. PMS will not work without it.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby kronos1962 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:06 pm

Thank you meskibob.

My concern is more to do with Java being a large security risk.

I don’t use my server to surf the web but even security experts say uninstall it.

Is the trade off worth it?
kronos1962

Postby meskibob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:41 pm

If that machine doesn't require any WAN access, your best bet would be to install Java and just disable WAN access for that machine in your router's firewall. That way you can use the server on the LAN without any potential exposure to a WAN based exploit.
Otherwise, not doing any browsing on that machine (so you're not using the Java web plugin) should be good.
But it's up to you to figure out whether using PMS is worth the potential security risks with Java.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ExSport » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:57 pm

kronos1962 wrote:My concern is more to do with Java being a large security risk.

You are quite naive. All applications has some security risk but is not so discussed in public ;)
Last "large" bug in JAVA was fixed in build 11 (Java 7 affected only). Because JAVA/Oracle is a well known app/company so there is a big pressure to fix bugs immediately.
I am sure you have one or two apps installed which is bigger security risk than anything else but it is not discussed widely and because it is from small company or not well known application so nobody talk about, nobody is fixing it but be sure the underground knows them 8-)
Nothing is perfect...
ExSport

Postby kronos1962 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:14 am

Exsport, if I’m naïve then you’re uniformed.

Less than 24 hours after last patch (Java 7 Update 11), criminals were selling a new Java exploit for $5,000 per buyer.

Please list one app off the top of your head that has more security problems than Java.
kronos1962

Postby ExSport » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:19 am

I am not uninformed. I work in IT so I can say I am not naive or uninformed but I don't like explanation like you made because you frighten non-IT people inaccurately.
I will give you two: Adobe, OS itself ;)
Every SW has a security hole but:
  • it is not known to anyone
  • it is not known to the public but the underground knows it
  • it is known to anyone but not still fixed
If you want to be invulnerable, never connect PC/TV/any HW to internet ;)
ExSport

Postby kronos1962 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:51 pm

I didn’t say anything about wanting to be invulnerable.

Even Homeland Security is asking people to uninstall Java.

Since Java seems to be the one of most unsafe applications around is it worth the installation to get the PS3 Media Server?

There have been 12 updates to Java 7, including six that fixed critical security issues.

If you use Java’s automatic updater to install its security updates, third party software will be included.

The Ask Toolbar and McAfee Security Scanner.

When installing Java you could miss the “Install the Ask toolbar and make Ask my default search provider” checkbox.

You may decide to check your Control Panel Programs and Features looking for Ask so you can uninstall it.

It will not be there.

Well here’s the kicker.

The Ask toolbar installer continues to run, but it delays execution for 10 minutes.

sport your uninformed.
kronos1962

Postby meskibob » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:55 pm

This thread is getting off topic, and your question has already been answered (it's up to you to figure out if the risks are worth it).
Thread locked.
meskibob

Return to General Discussion