Building for Raspberry Pi with the official Debian

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Building for Raspberry Pi with the official Debian

Postby perpe » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to build ps3mediaserver for my Raspberry Pi running with the offcial Debian image and OpenJDK6.

I checked out the ps3mediaserver project files from github and built the binaries with the scripts download and build scripts from the contrib folder. Had some little errors, but was manageable. I've built everything directly on the pi, avoided a cross compiler.

Also the two mvn dependency building steps worked seamlessly.

Now, I'm stuck at the last building step, ps3mediaserver itself.
I'm getting errors on PMSUtils.java, that com.apple.eawt is missing. I searched a little bit on the web and found it at the Maven Repository (http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.a ... nsions/1.4) and installed it with
Code: Select all
mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=com.apple -DartifactId=AppleJavaExtensions -Dversion=1.4 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/home/pi/AppleJavaExtensions-1.4.jar

This worked, but the build process of ps3mediaserver fails with the same error.

I have to say, that I'm a completely java noob, that means I need your help tosolve this problem. Does someone know, how I can get rid of this error?

thanks.
perpe

Re: Building for Raspberry Pi with the official Debian

Postby happy.neko » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:12 pm

happy.neko
Project Member

Postby perpe » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Many thanks, but I forgot to write that the Raspberry Pi is an arm board. This means that I can't use the prebuild binaries.
I built the binaries already and they work. Now, I downloaded the pms package from your second link and got it working with my binaries. It was the only missing.
ps3mediaserver is up and running 8-)
I need to test it a little bit to know if everything is working.

I think I need to rebuild same binaries with better compiler flags.

I tried to build t+expires pms.jar also with my Ubuntu Desktop and get the same error like above. Still don't know why. Does it require the Sun JDK, was my mistake the openjdj?
perpe

Postby happy.neko » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:41 pm

perpe wrote:I need to test it a little bit to know if everything is working.
I think I need to rebuild same binaries with better compiler flags.

I'm interested to hear you impressions about ffmpeg/mencoder performance on ARM CPU. Thought I doubt it'll be sufficient for 720p transcoding.
Also I suggest you to compile mencoder rev. 34587 (SB22), not the one from latest ps3ms trunk. You can apply necessary patches from my debian patchset against contrib scripts https://launchpad.net/~happy-neko/+arch ... ian.tar.gz
+ binary-tools-versions.patch
+ download-pms-binaries-source.patch
+ rollback-build-pms-binaries-to-SB22.patch
+ rollback-mplayer.patch-to-SB22.patch

perpe wrote:I tried to build t+expires pms.jar also with my Ubuntu Desktop and get the same error like above. Still don't know why. Does it require the Sun JDK, was my mistake the openjdj?

PS3MS builds fine with OpenJDK. In fact thats what I'm using for packaging. Just follow build instructions closely and use latest Maven 3 https://github.com/ps3mediaserver/ps3me ... r/BUILD.md
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby perpe » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:02 am

I have tried to transcode a 1080p h.264 with the pms default configs, result was very very slow.
But this was my first try, installation and configs aren't optimzied at the moment. Streaming of images, mp3 files and untranscoded videos works like a charme. Enough to say, I will work on it to get better results, because it works and I like psm and all it's plugins. I'm using it on my desktop PC since two years and don't want to switch to an other dlna server.

I will rebuild it this weekend with your suggestions and try out some other transcoding config for better streaming results ( I used your instructions for my first build.)
perpe

Postby perpe » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:04 am

happy.neko, your patch files solved my problem!
I haven't built it for my board, but for my Ubuntu Desktop to see, if the build progress runs well. This was also my first try to build the external binaries on my desktop.
I have three things to report:
- docbook needs to be installed otherwise fontconfig building fails. It isn't listed in build-pms-binaries.sh check_binary()
- mplayer build gave my an error, that config.h was older then some other files, rerunning ./configure for mplayer solved it.
- last but not least: Maven! Your patches solved my problems, they added 4 new files to my build directory: build.xml, maven-build.xml, maven-build.properties,pms-build.properties. I don't know which is the relevant one or if they are autogenerated files from your build, but they are all missing on github. With them I built my PMS.jar successfully.
Again, many thanks.

Tomorrow, I will build it for my board :)
perpe

Postby perpe » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:03 am

Transcoding results on the pi are very bad at the moment. Try to transcode to 720p, maybe you will get better results. I haven't tried it yet.
Does untranscoded streaming work for you?

For 1080p transcoding we have to wait until they research t+e camera extension board, with it they want to make a firmware update, that supports gpu video encoding.
perpe

Postby jez286 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:57 am

Hi perpe, how did your project go? I'm desperate to get PMS running on my headless Raspberry Pi but keep running into blind alleys as my Linux experience is poor. Would be great if it could be added to one of the repositories so it's a simple install!
jez286

Postby crakarjax » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:25 pm

This would be really cool. Hardware transcoding is available now on the raspberry pi, which just might make it the ideal PMS host!
crakarjax

Postby cmdrfrog » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:46 am

perpe, any chance you could share your prebuilt binaries as a .deb or tgz? I dread compiling it but i want to accomplish the same thing as you. Have you had any success in transcoding live any lower quality content like maybe 480p?

also what was meant by Pi now having hardware transcoding? is that really a thing, i havent heard about that
cmdrfrog

Next

Return to Linux/Unix Support