PMS - PS3 - Choppy 1080P streaming

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PMS - PS3 - Choppy 1080P streaming

Postby mpit52 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Hey guys,
I'm having some trouble streaming 1080P Video's from my laptop to my PS3. Both the laptop and PS3 are connected via Cat5e cable. Due to the limitation of my switch, its a 10/100mbs connection (100mbs, full duplex). All power settings on the laptop are set to full/high performance, wireless is disabled and it has the following specs.

Laptop: Intel Core2Duo P8700 2.53Ghz, Windows 7 64bit, 2Gbs of RAM.
**Latest build for PMS and Java**
PMS Settings:
-=General Config=-
Forced Network on Interface: Physical NIC
Maximum Bandwidth: 0 (no limit)
HTTP Endgine V2: [Checked]
Prevent OS from Sleeping: [Checked] (disabled on OS anyway)

-=Transoding Settings=-
**Note I have tried both 400 and 600 on the Maximum buffer size**
**Note as per just reading a FAQ on the forums, i have moved the tsMuxeR to the top of the video file engines. It was previously set to MEncoder then tsMuxeR. I have not tested with these settings yet.

When I try to steam movies, the memory of my system is fine, about 3/4 used but my CPU ramps up to 100 from the Java app... I'm not sure if my system is underpowered or not. I believe I use to the same setup when I was in my old Apt. I've ran new cabled and verified connection speeds.

I have also tried the same setup using my new laptop which has an i5 processor and the movies steam better but still get a little choppy here and there. The CPU still ramps up to 100%. Is there any way to throttle this so it sits at 80% or so? Does anyone have any suggestions? Could it possible be my network? I thought about switch out my 24 port linksys switch with a newer gigabit switch but can't see to much of a change. The PS3 only has a 10/100 NIC installed so the top speeds would still be 100mbs. I know the PMS would be able to run at 1Gb but it would be throttled to 100mbs by the PS3.

**Note I have ran the cables personally and tested link speeds. They get between 85 and 90 mbs. I've use the following tool to test**
http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed.html

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
PMSTrancodSettings.PNG
PMSTrancodSettings.PNG (78.88 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
mpit52

Re: PMS - PS3 - Choppy 1080P streaming

Postby meskibob » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:01 pm

FAQ - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=30#p42818
You may want to re-read that FAQ post...
The FAQ tells you to set proper values for things like the maximum bandwidth, as setting it to zero can get you into bandwidths well over 90mbps. It also tells you about the minimum spec for transcoding 1080P material, which your current setup does not meet.
Unfortunately you might be stuck with either getting new hardware, decreasing the quality (input and/or output), or pre-transcoding (outside of PMS) to skip transcoding with PMS.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Re: PMS - PS3 - Choppy 1080P streaming

Postby mpit52 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:03 am

Thanks Meskibob it seems I missed the part in the FAQ about not setting the Max bandwidth to 0. I set it to 85mbs to be on the safe side and had no issues streaming 1080p movies from my old laptop to my PS3. About 30 mins into a movie, I started to noticed that the sync between the audio and video is slightly off. I'm going to check the FAQ again to see what I can do to fix that. I believe that my old laptop is just powerful enough, once configured correctly, to take care of everything. If it becomes an issue, I'll set my new laptop up with the same settings and test. Do you have any suggestions in the meantime, as I check the FAQ?
mpit52

Return to General Help and Support