Not able to get DTS 5.1 using PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Not able to get DTS 5.1 using PS3

Postby chandra » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi,
Please can you help me with this?
I am playing a .mkv file from PC using PS3 media server . File has DTS 5.1 channel sound track in it.
Hardware setup:
PS3 with latest software update
Panasonic Plasma TV
Yamaha YSP-2200 as sound system

In PS3 Media server common transcode settings I selected ‘Keep DTS Track’
Sound settings on PS3 are selected to Automatic

While playing I press Select button (square shaped one) on PS3 controller then following information displayed on the screen.
Linear PCM 2Ch 48Khz 1.5 Mbps AVC .

If I uncheck ‘Keep DTS Track’ in PS3 Media server common transcode settings and play the file again, I am seeing the following information
DolbyDigital 5.1 Ch. 48kHz 634 kbps AVC

When I used PS3 Media Sever to play same movie on my friends house using Sony 3D BDVE 490 Blu-ray home cinema system, information shown on screen was
DTS 5.1 1.5 Mbps.

Is this problem with my YSP-2200 or PS3?
chandra

Re: Not able to get DTS 5.1 using PS3

Postby meskibob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:30 pm

The PS3 will always show the LPCM 2ch when using the "Keep DTS Track" setting, and your receiver should be playing/showing 5.1 DTS. There is no possible way for your friend's PS3 to show "DTS 5.1" through PMS...
There is no problem here (unless your receiver isn't playing 5.1 DTS).
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby chandra » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi
Thank you very much for the reply.
As I understand it, PS3 screen always shows PCM 2Ch whenever "Keep DTS Track" setting used on PSM. My Yamaha YSP-2200 does indicate that its playing DTS steam. But it does not show the number of channels. Thats why I am not sure if its 5.1 or not.
My Friend has a Sony 3D BDVE 490 Blu-ray home cinema system. And I played same file from my PC using PSM as PSM also detected his network enabled blu-ray player.

Thank you
Chandra
chandra

Postby meskibob » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:40 pm

It should be pretty easy to tell with any sort of speaking through the center channel that it's not 2 channel and is a proper 5.1 track.
As for what your friend's bluray/home theater system does/displays, you're expecting different devices (by different manufacturers, no less) to do things the exact same way?
Again, there do not appear to be any issues here.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby chandra » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:21 pm

Thank you for clarification. I found out how to display number of channels in Yamaha YSP-2200. It does show the number of channels as 3/2/0.1. So no problems here except the display on PS3 screen, which I am not worried about anyway.
Thank you again.
chandra

Return to General Help and Support