SRT subtitles cause "Content cannot be played" message.

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

SRT subtitles cause "Content cannot be played" message.

Postby tingreg » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi all I' ve been using PMS since it first came out to stream to my PS3 without any real issues.

All of a sudden some of my files give the dreaded "Content cannot be played." Error 800288E1 message.

When I choose "Definitely disable subtitles" in options the problem disappears.

I've searched the forum, google, went through the FAQ but no success.
Updated java to 7update10.
Installed the latest CCCP codecs.
Did several uninstallations/reinstallations. (Tried to unistall any part of PMS I could think of)

Anyone else facing the same issue?

I use MEncoder and always play files along with srt subtitles.
debug.rar
(4.21 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Set up:
Intel core2duo E8400 @3.00GHz , 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4800, Windows 7 Ultimate.
PMS version 1.72.0
Streaming to PS3 with wired connection via linksys wrt54gs rooter.
Using MEncoder.
My files are .mkv, .mp4 and a few .avi.
Last edited by tingreg on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
tingreg

Re: CONTENT CANNOT BE PLAYED with files that previously play

Postby tingreg » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Come on people help me out here :)

I ve tried anything I could think of.
Last edited by tingreg on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
tingreg

Re: SRT subtitles cause "Content cannot be played" message.

Postby tingreg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:31 pm

I a
tingreg

Postby tingreg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:32 pm

I am guessing it is something to do with MEncoder...

Not much support on this forum... :cry:
Last edited by tingreg on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
tingreg

Postby meskibob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:33 pm

It's over the holidays, and it's been two days. A little patience goes a long way.
I'd like to help, but my expertise isn't in the transcoding engines and the various transcoding playback issues. You'll need to wait for one of the devs or other forum members to help you.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby meskibob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Note: providing all of the correct information (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=496) will help you get better support once the right people are available to look at it (hint: some MediaInfo and a sample will help).
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby tingreg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:26 am

Thanks meskibob... will wait.

I mainly use mkv and mp4 files.
tingreg

Postby tingreg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:22 am

It safe to guess I am not getting any help WTF!!! :evil: :twisted:
tingreg

Postby starterz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:43 am

OK, I can confirm this problem too. Happened tonight at my side, all of a sudden. I was watching a movie yesterday using the same laptop and PMS without any problems. Today, the TV (Philips 40PFL6606H/12) gives me a message that the file (any video file that needs transcoding for external .srt subtitles) cannot be played. I am also using Mencoder for transcoding, with PMS version 1.72.0.

When I completely disable subtitles, videos play with no problems. The only thing I can think of is that I probably updated Java yesterday to Version 7 Update 10. I tried reinstalling, to no avail. I cannot remember what was the version of Java before the update.

What is interesting is that I have installed PMS version 1.72.0 on another laptop (I have media files on two locations). On this install, everything works just fine, like the day before. What could have happened ONLY on this PMS install (this laptop) beats me.

Please, it would be highly appreciated if anyone provides support for this issue. I believe it is important to detect how this problem occurs, because it appeared with no changes to the PMS install. If I can do anything to help (testing etc.) - I have the time during the weekend.

All best.

[UPDATE]

I checked the Java version on the other laptop, and it is the same Version 7 Update 10. Most probably the Java version is not the problem.
starterz

Postby starterz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:46 pm

OK, I tried uninstalling Shark007 Windows 7 codecs and installing CCCP. Nothing has changed. I will provide in this message all data as suggested in Problem Reporting Guidelines.

Computer AMD dual core, 2GB RAM, Lenovo ThinkPad EDGE. Windows 7 Ultimate. PMS version 1.72.0.
Streaming to TV set Philips 40PFL6606H/12 (2011 model). I guess using PhilipsPFL.conf.
Connection, 100Mbps ethernet or WiFi, the problem is the same. WRT54GL router.
Transcoding with Mencoder. Main (and only) reason for transcoding is to display .srt subtitles via DLNA.

What is not working:

Happened all of a sudden yesterday. I was watching a movie 2 days ago using the same laptop and PMS install without any problems. Today, the TV (Philips 40PFL6606H/12) gives me a message that the file (any video file that needs transcoding for external .srt subtitles) cannot be played. I am also using Mencoder for transcoding, with PMS version 1.72.0.

When I completely disable subtitles, videos play with no problems. The only thing I can think of is that I probably updated Java yesterday to Version 7 Update 10. I tried reinstalling, to no avail. I can also now remember that I also uninstalled TVersity (and the TVersity codec pack).

What is interesting is that I have installed PMS version 1.72.0 on another laptop (I have media files on two locations). On this install, everything works just fine, like the day before. What could have happened ONLY on this PMS install (this laptop) beats me. This laptop still has TVersity and it's codec pack installed, while the Java engine is the same Version 7 Update 10.

Debug.log and mediainfo.zip are in attach.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks and all best.
Attachments
mediainfo.zip
(980 Bytes) Downloaded 47 times
debug.zip
(5.75 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
starterz

Next

Return to General Help and Support