AVC+subtitles

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

AVC+subtitles

Postby Dude » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Hello and Happy New Year!

What I'm trying to achieve:
- play Bluray MKVs with the highest quality without stuttering
- display subtitles
- use the play/pause and seeking functionality on the TV remote

How it fails:
- if I have the highest quality without stuttering + play/pause and seeking functionality, I don't have subtitles (tsMuxeR)
- if I have the highest quality without stuttering + subtitles, I don't have play/pause and seeking functionality (Plex Media Server)
- if I have the highest quality + subtitles, I have stuttering (Mencoder, highest quality)
- if I have subtitles + play/pause and seeking functionality + no stuttering, I don't have the highest quality (Mencoder, lower quality)

Solution:
- Somehow make AVC work with subtitles

More details:
I've recently purchased a Sony Bravia 46HX850 TV and because the set doesn't have any SMB connectivity to just read and natively play the video files I need to stream and transcode all files via DLNA. I've traced the stuttering problem I'm having to network bandwidth limitations. I'm using wired Gigabit, but the set only uses 100Mbit, and all stuttering starts when the bitrate gets to 87Mbit. This obviously only happens when I play 1080p files, and even then the stuttering only happens when a zone of frames is full on details. The same problem happens when using either Mencoder or Avisynth/Mencoder with the highest quality. Problem disappears when lowering quality, but doing so defeats the purpose of viewing Blurays, so I'm not considering it. PS3MS's processor is an i7 which never goes above 10% usage with Mencoder or 1% usage with Avisynth+CoreAVC accelerated by my ATI card.

What I'm trying to accomplish here is playing Bluray MKVs with subtitles, but the Mencoder+the 100Mb network fail.

I then played with AVC streams output by tsMuxeR and found out that everything works perfectly. Everything except subtitles that is..
The picture is of the highest quality while the peak bitrate fits well inside the 87Mb cap.

I've tried most transcoding DLNA software out there and all of them fail in one way or another (with respect to my requirements above). None of them can play subtitles over AVC. None except Plex. This server is unique in that it plays the subtitles over the wonderful AVC codec, but the DLNA play pause and seeking functions bound to the TV's remote are shit. Pausing or seeking restarts the video. So this defeats the purpose of using a DLNA server (for my needs). I'm better off playing directly from the PC over HDMI, where I get both subs and the best of quality.

I've seen a thread on these forums dating back to 2010 where people were saying that there was no way (at that time) to get subs on tsMuxeR.

But then how is Plex doing it?
Dude

Re: AVC+subtitles

Postby Dude » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Apparently, Mezzmo v3 due in January 2013 is going to support AVC as transcoding format and burned in subtitles, simultaneously.

Already two separate engines supporting it, so definitely doable. Do you think PS3MS might get such a feature too, anytime soon?
Dude

Postby Dude » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:20 am

PIng?
Dude

Postby Dude » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:55 pm

KooRaRoo Media also supporting AVC together with burned in subtitles nicely.
Dude

Return to General Help and Support