PS3 cannot see PC

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PS3 cannot see PC

Postby crimsonrider » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:32 am

Hi am an installing the PMS for the umpteenth time and am having issues with it.

Initially both the PC running Windows 8 was detecting the Playstation 3 and vice versa.

Now my PC is locating and displaying the PS3 but the PS3 is not detecting the PMS as a server. Instead it is using Windows 8 Media itself as a server.

I do not wish to utilise the Windows Media 8 as a library as a) it does not detect all my external drives and b) I am unable to link the external drives to the windows media library so that I could utilise it that way.

As PMS is far superior can you please advise anyway that I can overcome this.
crimsonrider

Re: PS3 cannot see PC

Postby debugfix » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:59 am

The "Network settings" in "General Configuration" are somewhat broken in version 1.72.0.

You need to specify an IP address to bind to explicitely.

a) Previously PMS was binding to ALL network interfaces by default, now it picks one at random.
Expected behavior: Bind to all network interfaces by default when noe is specified. Picking an interface by randomg (or the default one) is almost always wrong. Most machines do NOT have their default network interface set correctly. In professional software for a number of years the best practice is: Bind to all by default; bind to specific by configuration.

b) When you select "Force a network interface, the setting is ineffectice. This seem to be a simply a bug.
debugfix

Postby meskibob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:28 pm

As far as I can remember, PMS has never bound to all network interfaces. And there is a logic to how PMS picks the NIC automatically, but there are cases where two NICs come out the same in that logic (since there is limited access to NIC variables through Java), so the first one enumerated by Java is picked (which does seem to vary over reboots).

As for the bug, please provide a debug.log and PMS.conf demonstrating the setting in the conf but not applied in the log.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby meskibob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:42 pm

As for the OP, please follow the FAQ - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p34933
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support