Sony BDP-S590

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Sony BDP-S590

Postby Arnage » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:43 am

sonnysavage wrote:Changing the avi line to:
Code: Select all
Supported = f:avi|divx   v:divx|mp4   a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/mp4

...transcodes them by default, so I can watch them, but it seems like they should be natively supported by the Sony BDP-S590.

hybear wrote:
After hours of trial and error, here is what I did to make the mkv, mp4, and wmv works.

For the setting in PS3 Media Server,
1. Go to Transcoding Settings Tab.
2. Select Common transcode settings from the left Panel.
3. Key in mp4, mkv, wmv in the box next to "Skip transcode for the following extensions(comma separated):"

Without these setting, it seems that PMS will change some of the mp4 or mkv file to m2ts.

For the configuration file,

Supported = f:wmv v:wmv|vc1 a:wma m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mp4|m4v v:mp4|h264 a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mkv v:mp4|divx|h264 a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/mp4

--

Thank you to SonnySavage and hybear, your solutions proved most useful and I have those formats working on the player. So glad I don't need to run a LAN cable to my Xbox 360 downstairs, when the Sony plays all my media from the server where I download to. When I have more time, I will pursue Tools902's post regarding AVI's. Also thanks to chocolateboy for the log tweaking info.

I'm using software M 12 R 0430 on the Sony, and PS3MS 1.71.0. My 720p TV shows still stream effortlessly over wireless G. :D

Terrific work! :)

Arnage
Arnage

Sony BDP-S390

Postby Axess_Denied » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:10 am

I just purchased the Sony BDP-S390 and am having the hardest time getting video (formatted in mp4 and avi) to stream via PMS. I have used PMS with my PS3 for more than two years and have just recently started streaming media to a Nexus 7 (using a configuration guide found in this forum). I am running Ubuntu 11.10 and PMS 1.54.xxx.

Following the advice that has been offered in this thread, I have done the following:

"SonyBluRay.conf"
# --- video ---
Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts   v:mpeg1|mpeg2     a:ac3|dts|lpcm|mpa|mp3                       m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:mpegts          v:h264|vc1        a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3      m:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts
Supported = f:mp4|m4v         v:mp4|h264        a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3      m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:mp4|m4v         v:mp4|h264        a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3      m:video/mp4
Supported = f:avi|divx        v:divx|mp4        a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3                           m:video/x-divx
Supported = f:mkv             v:mp4|divx|h264   a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3      m:video/mp4
Supported = f:divx            v:divx            a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3                           m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:wmv             v:wmv|vc1         a:wma                                        m:video/mp4

"PMS.conf"
# Skip transcode for extensions
# -----------------------------
# GUI Option: Skip transcode for extensions (list)
# Do not transcode files with an extension in the list.
# Default: empty.
notranscode = avi, mp4, mkv

and

# Force transcode for extensions
# ------------------------------
# GUI Option: Force transcode for extensions (list)
# Always transcode file with an extension in the list.
forcetranscode = divx

Last night, I was able to stream ~ 4 minutes of mp4 video content before audio and video fell out of sync. Then playback stopped and the BDP-S390 began returning the "file in corrupt or unrecognized" notification.

Do any of you folks have suggestions that may work?

*EDIT: Tidied up code. OCD.
Last edited by Axess_Denied on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axess_Denied

Sony BDP-S390 *SOLVED*

Postby Axess_Denied » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:26 am

So, after a few more hours of tinkering, here is the solution that works for my setup:

BDP-S390
    Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    PMS 1.54x

PMS.conf
# Skip transcode for extensions
# -----------------------------
# GUI Option: Skip transcode for extensions (list)
# Do not transcode files with an extension in the list.
notranscode = avi, mp4, mkv

and

# Force transcode for extensions
# ------------------------------
# GUI Option: Force transcode for extensions (list)
# Always transcode file with an extension in the list.
forcetranscode = divx

SonyBluray.conf
# --- video ---
Supported = f:avi|divx      v:divx|mp4        a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3                           m:video/x-divx
Supported = f:divx          v:divx            a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3                           m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:wmv           v:wmv|vc1         a:wma                                        m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mp4|m4v       v:mp4|h264        a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3      m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mkv           v:mp4|divx|h264   a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3      m:m:video/x-matroska

As of now, this is playing mp4 and avi. If I experience problems over the next few days, I will be sure to update.
Axess_Denied

Re: Sony BDP-S390 *SOLVED* UPDATE

Postby Axess_Denied » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:44 am

The above works now to play mp4 and avi on my BDP-S390.

However, I am now unable to play audio when browsing my music folders under the 'Music' portion of the XMB. For each of the folders containing music that I browse, I receive the following from the Blu-ray player:

There is no playable file

Any ideas?
Axess_Denied

Re: Sony BDP-S390 *SOLVED*

Postby Axess_Denied » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:24 am

Wow!

What a waste of my time. :evil: So, I reviewed my SonyBluray.conf file and found that I had literally removed the entire audio section. Duh. :oops:

This is how the SonyBluray.conf file now looks:
MediaInfo=true
# --- video ---
Supported = f:avi|divx      v:divx|mp4          a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3                               m:video/x-divx
Supported = f:divx          v:divx              a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3                               m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:wmv           v:wmv|vc1           a:wma                                            m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mp4|m4v       v:mp4|h264          a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3          m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mkv           v:mp4|divx|h264     a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3          m:m:video/x-matroska
# --- audio ---
Supported = f:wma           n:2                                                                  m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:mp3           n:2                                                                  m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:lpcm          n:2                 s:48000                                          m:audio/L16
# --- image ---
Supported = f:jpg                                                                                m:image/jpeg

:lol:

I have attached my working SonyBluray.conf file for those of you to use, rather than having to make all changes to the .conf yourselves. Just swap this for the one in your /ps3mediaserver/renderers directory.
Attachments
SonyBluray.conf.zip
Complete working SonyBluray.conf (BDP-S390)
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Axess_Denied

Postby SeaFox » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:06 am

Thank You!

Just bought a BDP-S390 for a family member for Christmas and I was very pissed to see all the files that play just fine on my own BDP-S580 don't work on the 390.
Using your custom .conf file seems to have fixed it for the most part on the new player, and the player from last year's lineup isn't having issues with the new stream types either.

The only problem is stuff that actually requires transcoding, since PS3MS is still serving those as m2ts the new player wont take them.
Intel Core i7 920 - 6 GB RAM - Windows 8 Pro x64 | PS3MS v 1.82 | Sony BDP-S580, Sony BDP-S390
SeaFox

Postby Chabs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:45 am

Hello,

first of all thank you for your posts, which helped me a lot to understand how to configure the PMS. I have a Sony BDP-590 and I am struggling to get it work properly.

I pasted the sonybluray.conf file, which you kindly attached in your last message. Most of the files can now be read by the blu ray player (which was not the case before I used your configuration). However, mkv files still can not be played. Those files are displayed as "movie.mkv[MENCODER]" and when I try to launch them, the bluray player displays an error message "File can not be read".

I am not sure that this subject is still followed, but if you have an update of the configuration, it would help me a lot!!!

Forgive my english, I hope I am clear enough (I'm French...).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chabs
Chabs

Postby fwaits » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:08 pm

I had this working on my BDP-S390 a couple months ago thanks to the efforts of the people in this thread. (Axess_Denied primarily) Used his PMS.conf and SonyBluRay.conf files and had non-subtitled AVIs, and MP4s working great, and even my ASS subtitled MKVs (Anime) transcoding via MEncoder with no problems. I reloaded my system and set PMS back up with these same conf files and now I get the files corrupted or not supported error on the MKV's that use the MEncoder. Any thoughts on fixing those? Not a pro when it comes to video/audio encoding and all that stuff. Thanks!
fwaits

Postby fwaits » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:26 am

Well it turns out my issue was bandwidth. My player is on WiFi and for some reason even though I didn't have problems before, it seems to not like transcoding on max so I had to bump the keyinit value from 5 to 10 and that lowered my overhead a bit and now they transcode fine with the above conf file settings. If anyone is having the file corrupted or not supported issue, you might want to try some lower quality transcode settings to see if that's the issue. (Under Common transcode settings > Video quality settings > MPEG-2 options) By default they are keyint=5:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 (Lower values = higher quality/bandwidth) I changed mine to the Good quality WiFi option then they all worked so I went back to the default and just increased the keyinit from 5 to 10 and left the others alone and that has worked fine so I was just hitting the ceiling on bandwidth I guess so a little bump in quality got me working fine. Good luck!
fwaits

Postby fwaits » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:37 am

Ok ignore my last post, that wasn't the issue and I'm not sure how I got it working , but the problem returned after reloading on a new build of Windows 8 even with the configs above when trying to play mkv files with embedded subtitles via the MEncoder. However after trying a bunch of things including uninstalling and going back to earlier versions to see if I could get it working, I found that with v1.60 it started working with those files. I also noted that Sony Blu-Ray player was not what was being detected in that version, but rather Sony SMP-N100. I looked at that conf file and found that this entry was in there that was not mentioned in any of the configs above:

Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts v:mpeg1|mpeg2 a:ac3|dts|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/mpeg

So I added this line to the SonyBluray.conf that I was using and now it works with v1.72 as well. Here is the final code in the SonyBluray.conf file that I'm using now:

MediaInfo=true
# --- video ---
Supported = f:avi|divx      v:divx|mp4          a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3                               m:video/x-divx
Supported = f:divx          v:divx              a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3                               m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:wmv           v:wmv|vc1           a:wma                                            m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mp4|m4v       v:mp4|h264          a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3          m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mkv           v:mp4|divx|h264     a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3          m:video/x-matroska
Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts v:mpeg1|mpeg2       a:ac3|dts|lpcm|mpa|mp3                           m:video/mpeg
# --- audio ---
Supported = f:wma           n:2                                                                  m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:mp3           n:2                                                                  m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:lpcm          n:2                 s:48000                                          m:audio/L16
# --- image ---
Supported = f:jpg                                                                                m:image/jpeg

I hope this helps those of you playing non-transcoded files fine, but having problems playing mkv files that have embedded subtitles and show up as M2TS (mpegts) and use the MEncoder to transcode and play with the subtitles showing.
fwaits

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers