Stuttering

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Stuttering

Postby Melborne » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:28 am

I've searched the forums, yes, over and over - nothing has fixed my problem.

I'm running an AMD 8 Core, (overclocked) 5Ghz CPU with 32gb of 2000Mhz (overclocked from 1866mhz) of DDR3 Corsair Vengeance ram with 2x1TB Western Digitial Raptor Drives with Windows 7 Pro. My ISP is providing me just over 25Mbps download and 2.5Mbps upload. Yet my media server is constantly stuttering, even if it is the only thing running on my PC. I know it cannot be my computer, I question if it is my upload speed.

The movies are all .MKV 6-30gb files. All of them stutter, regardless of size.
Melborne

Re: Stuttering

Postby mazey » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:01 am

your internet has nothing to do with PMS, PMS uses the local network.

are you running pms using the pms.bat file provided in the program files directory, u might need to increase the heapsize edit the batch file, change the heapsize to 1536. then click pms.bat to start pms up.

you can also try changing the transcode quality to 1-1-2 instead of 5-1-2 its in common transcode settings under mpeg2 quality.

those 2 things fixed my stuttering without either it would stutter.
mazey

Postby Boogiebox » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Hi Melborne

I have had the same problems from the beginning as i tried to run the media-server (Version earlier then 1.50).
After update to 1.50 to 1.60 and at least to 1.72, the problem still occurs.

I have never looked at the directory "C:\ProgramData\PMS" where a pms.conf exists.
So i always have an old configuration file in use.

After uninstalling the media-server, rename the old config file and install the version 1.72 again, everything is working fine.

I hope this helps to solve your problem.
Boogiebox

Postby Melborne » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:35 pm

I've played around with it today, I got the stuttering to go away - works flawless now - Only had to properly set the bandwith modifier from 0. Only issue I've come across with now is that I have no 'front' sound, only background sound effects/music. It's one step closer I suppose.

Edit: Wanted to know if this was normal to see.
lmao.png
lmao.png (54.19 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Melborne

Postby Melborne » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:30 am

Alright, I fixed the problem! I've got 1080p quality, no stuttering/skipping nor any type of glitch - proper encoding without third party codecs!

I installed Nero Home Media. Thanks!
Melborne

Postby radamo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:04 am

So do you think it was a codec issue?
radamo

Postby radamo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:35 am

Found out tonight that my issue is that "MPlayer" could not be used as the primary Audio engine. On top of that, when I made the change to FFmpeg and saved and restarted I saw that my .m4a songs still showed as being played by MPlayer on my PS3. With or without the Cache enabled. However by deleting my cached the PS3 then correctly showed FFmpeg as being the engine. So it appears that even with the cache disabled some settings, like Audio Engine get locked onto items until you remove the old cache files.
Hope this helps someone else. It has been driving me crazy. Now if I could only figure out why MPlayer suddenly went south that would be great.
radamo

Return to General Help and Support