Buggy DLNA/UPnP integration?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Buggy DLNA/UPnP integration?

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:33 pm

ExSport wrote:Will try to force PS3 OP value (don't have "development" pc in hands so will try to force it in PMS directly) and let you know.

Modifying the renderer.conf to masquerade as a PS3 will introduce other changes in behaviour which get in the way of troubleshooting. The whole point is to narrow down the problem. If you don't have a development PC to hand, then make the change I suggested and report the results when you do.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby ExSport » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:02 pm

You are the man! Thaaaaaaaaaaannnnnksssssssss!
Using DLNA.ORG_OP=10 JUST WORKS!!!!
PanTVs have my parents so next visit will be in 3 weeks? so renamed Panasonic.conf to PS3.conf (forced it as default renderer) and edited name to "RendererName = PlayStation 3" just works.
All specific code to "if (mediaRenderer.isPS3())" is applied on PanTV config and now it works. Checked network monitor and only change I spotted is exactly your suggestion and it is new "DLNA.ORG_OP=10" instead of "DLNA.ORG_OP=11"
Do you know how to narrow it?
I think we can change comment
Code: Select all
if (mediaRenderer.isPS3()) { // PS3 doesn't like OP=11
to
// PS3 and Panasonic TV doesn't like OP=11

Maybe it will be good to make it configurable somehow in renderer conf?
Maybe also other renderers are on same boat but now it just works because conf says "SeekByTime=false"?
Many thanks for help.
ExSport

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:13 am

Thanks. I've added a new option:

SeekByTime = exclusive

- which disables seek-by-byte for transcoded files when seek-by-time is enabled.

I haven't updated the Panasonic.conf yet. You, or other Panasonic users, will need to work out the best options and post an updated conf, preferably via a pull request.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby ExSport » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:20 am

Many thanks!
I asked also other PMS users to help with testing so when I get the results I will pull the change.
Right now 2 tests on different TVs and it works! For now Windows tested only but it should not be platform specific.
Edit: During the week I will try to compile your change and will post the results if it works as the "hack" I am using right now.
Edit2: Tested v1.72 and it works. Thx! (Sticking with 1.71 due to removed "swich to tsMuxeR")
ExSport

Postby ExSport » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:46 pm

ExSport

Postby ExSport » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:58 am

Some clarification about MediaInfo=exclusive for Panasonic.conf:
I was wrong that DLNA.ORG_OP=10 or 11 was the culprit. Panasonic accept both values. The root cause starts here:
https://github.com/ps3mediaserver/ps3me ... java#L1362
I linked DLNAResource version before "Switch to tsMuxeR" was removed due to the buggy code but new code is similar so bugs still persists there (mpegTsMux and isMuxable() still exists).
Root cause is that for all non-ps3 renderers value of "mpegTsMux" is always FALSE if renderer is not Bravia! Function isMuxable() is total mess 8-)
Due to this lot of people had problems with switching to tsMuxer as me on Panasonic with MediaInfo=true. It is because PS3 ignores DLNA.ORG_PN but other renderers added it but with incorrect value:
PS3:
...sample.mkv [MEncoder]</dc:title><res xmlns:dlna="urn:schemas-dlna-org:metadata-1-0/" protocolInfo="http-get:*:video/mpeg:DLNA.ORG_OP=10" duration="00:00:05.00" resolution="1920x800"...

Panasonic and other renderers (except if isBravia() == true):
...sample.mkv [MEncoder]</dc:title><res xmlns:dlna="urn:schemas-dlna-org:metadata-1-0/" protocolInfo="http-get:*:video/mpeg:DLNA.ORG_PN=MPEG_PS_PAL;DLNA.ORG_OP=10" duration="00:00:05.00" resolution="1920x800"...

This "DLNA.ORG_PN=MPEG_PS_PAL" will refuse to play remuxed MKV HD file :idea:
Tested on patched v1.71, 1.72 and alternative version with same results.
As Happy.Nekko said, this code was buggy so it was removed. Now, after fix, it will be less buggy so it should work as proposed for any renderer.
Whether feature will be returned or not, this code should be fixed anyway.
Thanks
ExSport

Postby ExSport » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Another bug what I found is that when MediaInfo=true/exclusive, some AVI (DivX/XviD) files can't be played at all, others with some delay (half sec it is buffered on TV, then it started to play) but FF/RW doesn't work.
Files worked before so I found a root cause and it is that it worked with MediaInfo=false.
When FALSE, PMS is using "protocolInfo="http-get:*:video/divx:DLNA.ORG_OP=01"". When MediaInfo is true/exclusive, OP=10/11 is used and this settings is not compatible in all cases as with OP=01.
Older PMS versions used "protocolInfo="http-get:*:video/divx:DLNA.ORG_PN=AVI;DLNA.ORG_OP=01"" for PS3. I tried it for Panasonic TV and it it works same way as when _PN part is omitted. It doesn't have influence also when OP=10 or 11 is used so it seems this part is mandatory only for PS3.
Regarding viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2908&p=12550#p12856 it seems OP=01 is "only" valid value for streamed video. My tests approve it. OP=10 or 11 is not well compatible with my TV and probably also with other non-PS3 renderers.
Also I thought that when MediaInfo=false is used, "Supported=" lines are ignored but it is not true. I was able to change mime type in this line also when MediaInfo=false.
Similar thing, but opposite, is reported here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15972&p=76111&hilit=it+is+a+bug#p76111
EDIT:
In my custom version I changed https://github.com/ps3mediaserver/ps3me ... java#L1384 to "01" and it works without any problem on PS3 and PanTV. Seems all renderers should use "01" instead of "11" including PS3.
ExSport

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Fix committed.
Thanks!
Raptor399
Project Member

Previous

Return to General Help and Support