"File format not supported" when playing from archive

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

"File format not supported" when playing from archive

Postby sm3sp » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi,

I'm using the latest Windows version 1.10.51 and have trouble when playing videos that archived (.rar). When I extract the same files I can play them without any problems. When they are still archived I get the "File format not supported" message on my PS3 after a while, although a preview screenshot is shown to me.
sm3sp

Re: "File format not supported" when playing from archive

Postby meskibob » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:48 pm

You need to play them from the #Transcode# folder using MEncoder.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Subject2Change » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:36 pm

Extract them from the RAR/ZIP files that contains the AVI/MKV? Why are you trying to play files from a RAR/ZIP file in the first place?
Core2Duo E8400 (@ 3.0), 8gigs of Mushkin, Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit, 2.5 TB of Space, Wired to Linksys WRT54G wired to 80GB MGS4 PS3 on Sharp 32" 720p LCD TV
Subject2Change

Postby Uridium » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:29 am

Subject2Change wrote:Extract them from the RAR/ZIP files that contains the AVI/MKV? Why are you trying to play files from a RAR/ZIP file in the first place?

Why not....

the application supports it
Uridium

Postby lettcco » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:30 am

I am encountering the same problem, hope someone can shed a light on this...
the thing is it was working properly until recently...since I upgrade from 1.0.3?
lettcco

Postby shagrath » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:07 am

I'm using the latest Windows version 1.10.51 and have trouble when playing videos that archived (.rar). When I extract the same files I can play them without any problems. When they are still archived I get the "File format not supported" message on my PS3 after a while, although a preview screenshot is shown to me.

there's a sticky topic in this very forum just addressed to you :p

lettcco wrote:I am encountering the same problem, hope someone can shed a light on this...
the thing is it was working properly until recently...since I upgrade from 1.0.3?

the rar video support has been brought just last month ...
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby lettcco » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Thanks for the reply shagrath, I try to do more troubleshooting and I found that some mkv files archived in .rar will work while some wont. so I suspect is the way the mkv file is encoded?
lettcco

Return to General Help and Support