Subtitle/transcoding issue

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Subtitle/transcoding issue

Postby xclr82xtc » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 am

I just downloaded pms for the first time. i have the newest version. (was using t versity) i think i have this all set up correctly. i didnt change to much from the defaults, all i did so far was force it to stream mp4 without encoding, and changed the quality settings to the lossless (have also tried great, and wifi settings)

my issues seem to be directly related to the subtitle aspect of this movie. (saved as an srt file in the same folder) when i play the movie with NO transcoding (and no subtitles) it plays all the way through, no stuttering or issues. if i set the movie to transcode to the mpeg 2 format, it also plays all the way through. but when i set it to transcode AND display subtitles, it plays for a few minutes and then goes stupid. i can start the movie again, or jump to another chapter and it will play for a few minutes then act crazy. it actually starts to play almost as if the 1.5x setting is enabled, stops displaying titles, then will skip forward about a minutes worth of content , and then if you let it keep going, it will eventually say data corrupted. again it ONLY does this when transcoding WITH subtitles.

i wouuld need to test another movie to see if its across the board, but this was the only movie i have in a foriegn language so its the first time i have notice the issue since ive used pms.

any ideas guys? or any thing i can do to give you more info?? thanks!
xclr82xtc

Re: Subtitle/transcoding issue

Postby xclr82xtc » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:43 am

ok it seems to be more of a transcoding issue. (most movies i stream as mp4 directly, this is the first one that i needed to transcode as well because of the subs)

it doesnt matter how low i set the quality, it still acts crazy. is there anyway to stream directly as mp4 WITH the subtitles? instead of transcoding. it seems transcoding is the only way i can make subs come up.
xclr82xtc

Postby Raptor399 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:50 pm

xclr82xtc wrote:is there anyway to stream directly as mp4 WITH the subtitles? instead of transcoding. it seems transcoding is the only way i can make subs come up.

I googled for this as well, but it appears that mp4 does not support embedded subtitles.
So your only option for streaming an mp4 with subtitles is to either have it transcoded by PMS, or to burn in the subtitles manually with an external program and then stream the resulting file.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby dmitche3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to get subtitles without transcoding and I'm curious about this posting. As I have other media servers that serve up my MP4 files with subtitles without transcoding I don't understand what is being said here.

I really don't want to spend the time/cpu/etc transcoding something that isn't necessary as my Samsung ES6500 and EH5300 play my MP4s find under AllShare and Serviio.

Is there a .conf setting that I'm missing perhaps?
Thanks in advance.
dmitche3

Return to General Help and Support