SRT Subtitles NOT working

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

SRT Subtitles NOT working

Postby prodiJy2000 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:21 pm

I have copied SRT files with the same filename as the movie files and the subtitles do show in GOM player and Windows Media Player. No problem. I think it used to work with PS3 MS but now whatever I tried, it says "Subtitles not available for this title" when selected in the triangle options. But it does say {External Subtitles} after the movie name.
I tried suggestion from forum to change in "Transcoding Settings"->"Audio/Sub Language Priority" and blank the line but it did not solve the srt sub issue.
I was using 1.60 then I updated to latest PS3MS and have 1.72.0 now but still no luck.

The frustrating part is it says {External Subtitles} in only movie filenames that have the corresponding SRT files, not the other ones. But when I try to display the subtitles, it says "Subtitles not available for this title".
I tried every file in folder "TransCoding" with same result. The movies have subs on my PC.

Can someone help please?
prodiJy2000

Re: SRT Subtitles NOT working

Postby ExSport » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:14 pm

You can't switch between subtitles or make them ON or OFF via triangle. PS3 doesn't support subs sent via network.
Information in the name means subs are present but if they are burned to the video, it depends on your audio/sub preference or you have to choose them manually in TRANSCODE folder.
Again, if you will choose alternative with subs directly in TRANSCODE folder, subs are burned into video so PS3 still shows no subs but they are present 8-)
ExSport

Postby lanark » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi there.

Try this, it's quite simple but it worked for me (after trying all possible configurations). Just look for your device (tv model,ps3, etc) on the Detected Media Renderers list. Save and restart. Mine was not working because my bravia was detected as unknown.

Hope it works

;)
lanark

Postby prodiJy2000 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:31 am

>>Just look for your device (tv model,ps3, etc) on the Detected Media Renderers list. Save and restart.

I see in the renderer list that my PS3 is listed. Not sure that saving and restarting will do anything. Will try that later.
prodiJy2000

Postby lanark » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:06 pm

You have to select it, not only check if is listed, that's why you have to save and restart.
lanark

Postby prodiJy2000 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:06 pm

How does one select the PS3 in the media renderer list?

In Tab "status", at the bottom, in "Detected Media Renderers", there are 2 icons WMP and Playstation3 but they can NOT be clicked on...
prodiJy2000

Postby lanark » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:50 am

Third tab, bottom of the screen, set PS3 as default renderer.
lanark

Postby aburridoforever » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:36 am

Hey guys, Im facing with the same problem... :( I did not understand ExSport's reply, but, Is it not possible reproduce the movie with srt as external file??? or what I need to do in order to solve this?
Thanks a lot!
aburridoforever

Postby ExSport » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:07 pm

PS3 doesn't support subtitles natively. It means you can't enable or disable them on PS3 directly, with triangle button.
If you want subtitles, only solution is transcoding. Transcoding means reencoding. In this process subtitles are burned to the video directly. So if you want subtitles you need go to the transcode folder and select them manually there. In transcode folder you can see all the audio/sub alternatives/combinations present in video.
Hope now it is more understandable than the last one from me 8-)
ExSport

Postby prodiJy2000 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:17 am

No I understood the 1st post.

The problem is that I tried every single file in Transcode folder and IT DOES NOT WORK. No subtitle there for any file. I tried that already.

If someone could give step-by-step instructions on how to make SRT work but in my opinion, it does not work with PS3 MS. I tried many things and nothing worked so far so I will look for another Media Server solution like PLEX for PS3.

In the meantime, I am back at connecting my USB hard-drive to my NINTENDO WII and movies with SRT subtitles play beautifully with WiiMC. Much better solution than PS3 MS. LOL!
prodiJy2000

Return to General Help and Support