New Contributor, Help Requested

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

New Contributor, Help Requested

Postby helio » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:34 am

Hi all,

[the short version]
I would like to start helping out on ps3mediaserver. Are there any particular issues in the tracker you think would be good for someone who will need to become familiar with the code?

[the long version]
I've been working with Java for several years, but still have a lot to learn. I'm in an OSS development class in college and we're required to contribute to an ongoing OSS project. Instead of deciding to pick something easy or just looking for ideas from other people, I decided to find something I liked using and see what was out there for it. It hadn't occurred to me that the media server I used to stream my Spotify to my ps3 might be open source until now! I'd like to start out small, focusing on issues or bugs that you already have in your tracker.

If you have any developer documentation, please point me there.

Thanks for your time!
helio

Re: New Contributor, Help Requested

Postby chocolateboy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:12 am

1) Thanks! New contributors and contributions to the project are always welcome.

2) The easiest way to start is by documenting undocumented (or poorly-documented) methods/classes/code as you read the source and figure things out.

3) Once you start to get up to speed, try a) searching for "XXX", "TODO" and "FIXME" in the source (avoid the deprecations for now) and/or b) tackling issues on the issue tracker.

4) The best way to submit patches/fixes/features is via pull requests on GitHub.

5) The "developer documentation" is the source code/documentation (see 2). For build instructions, see here.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Return to Developers