PMS Security.

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

PMS Security.

Postby AJ_ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 pm

So PMS just died on me so I went to restart it when I noticed for the first time, A third detected media renderer.
And it got me thinking about security, Does PMS just show what can be connected or what is physically connected under the "Detected Media Renderers" banner?
I have one ps3 connected wirelessly and one wired but there is a "Samsung AllShare" that I don't own showing up.

Am I being paranoid or do I need to start kicking down my neighbors' door?
AJ_

Re: PMS Security.

Postby chocolateboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:32 pm

chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby AJ_ » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:06 am

No I get that,
I know they can't access it without the wifi password but I think he has it somehow.
I can't find anything in my router log but he is a computer geek and knows what he is doing.
Just thought this might be a good way to catch him.
AJ_

Postby squadjot » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:29 pm

if your neigbors Samsungs shows up on in PMS, he must be connected to you LAN somehow. right?
squadjot

Postby zorgtron » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:55 pm

If you want to protect yourself a "Little Better" Goto your Access Point and turn on MAC address filtering. The name may differ from Device to Device but the idea is to only allow MAC addresses you know to access your WiFi network. Look in your DHCP leasing area and it will reflect the current MAC addresses connected to your AP and what IP address they have. Anything not in this list will be blocked from connecting even if they have the PSK password.
Also disable SSID Broadcasting. To go really extreme change the password on your WiFi access point. "You will have to update all of your current devices connected with the new password"

Some people also lock down DHCP but any novice can work around those settings. In other words if I know how to hack your Wifi I can figure out ways to get your IP information very easily. Mostly because 99% of the routers using NATing are using 192.168.X.X or 10.0.0.0 by default. You can change that but it is possible you could lock yourself out of some internet website if you duplicate there subnet.
zorgtron

Return to General Discussion