Streaming video lags after update

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Streaming video lags after update

Postby PRisoNR » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:49 pm

FYI, Just wanted to post my experience. Love PMS, my primary media server for quite a while now. I've always had a bit of stuttering in my HD videos, especially when I stream wireless to ps3 (PC is wired to router) ( i would watch the PS3 info screen MPEG2 kpbs increase to about 40.0 or more before I would see stuttering using PS3 wireless.)

Thought I'd try optimizing a few settings and first updated my PMS from 1.54 to whatever is current today 1.71, also update Java from version 7 update 5 to version 7 update 9. ALL PMS SETTINGS WERE SAVED / NONE MODIFIED.

I now have the constant video lagging problem i've seen expressed elsewhere, my HD videos stutter MUCH less, but the video starts falling more behind each second. I've also noticed in these cases the PS3 info screen would never show the MPEG2 kpbs exceed 10.0 on the exact same video clip which would exceed 50.0+ on old version. Also ... subtitles started appearing uncontrollably even though I have definitely disable subtitles checked.

Uninstalling 1.71 and redownloading and installing 1.54 instantly solved all problems.
PRisoNR

Re: Streaming video lags after update

Postby chocolateboy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:07 pm

PRisoNR wrote:subtitles started appearing uncontrollably even though I have definitely disable subtitles checked.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15770&p=75310#p75307

As for stuttering:

FAQ: How can I fix/reduce stuttering video playback?
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby PRisoNR » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:25 pm

thx for follow-up on the known subtitle issue ... the other link was the exact page I was using before. (step 4) update pms & java, lol

the stuttering, i know exactly what causes and explains it on my setup, i was looking for more obscure optimization tweaks like disabling cleartype (made no diff for me anyway). It was the way my explainable stutter turned into an unexplainable lag (at least to me so far) after the update. why was the mpeg2 suddenly bottlenecked, etc.

I'll try some to check off a few other things from that list.
Last edited by PRisoNR on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRisoNR

Postby SlyG07 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:32 pm

PRisoNR,

You said you just rolled back to an earlier version?

I don't want to go through the hassle of redownloading a bunch of other software that chocolateboy linked me to since I'm a noob and don't understand a lot of the encoding/transcoding terminology.
SlyG07

Postby PRisoNR » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Yea, just like an hr ago, I went back to 1.54 because thats what I had before today. By saying all problems fixed, I mean I got back to my usual minor stuttering on HD files, but they at least stay in sync. Everything lower than 720+ has always worked problem free.
Last edited by PRisoNR on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRisoNR

Postby SlyG07 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:36 pm

I might try that before going the other route, maybe even roll back to 1.70.1 or yes, a 1.6 version.
SlyG07

Postby PRisoNR » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:45 pm

Best advice I've found on here for the stuttering is to change the keyint value. defaults to 2, setting to 25 works much better for me. Set at 2, your cpu works less, but increases net traffic, setting to 25 makes the cpu work a little harder but reduces the data stream to a level reducing stuttering quite a bit (which on wireless is more important for me)
PRisoNR

Postby chocolateboy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:48 pm

SlyG07 wrote:I'm a noob and don't understand a lot of the encoding/transcoding terminology.

There is no such terminology in the link I posted, and installing a snapshot build is easier than rolling back PMS, which is not recommended.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby chocolateboy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:52 pm

PRisoNR wrote:Best advice I've found on here for the stuttering is to change the keyint value.

No, the best advice is to use a wired connection as clearly stated in the FAQ.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby PRisoNR » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Agree with ya chocolate boy, hate to roll it back, I just need it working this weekend. PMS is by far the best media server product i've used, and I'll be updating to newer version asap. I guess I meant the best advice I found to improve my personal situation (which is wireless) was that tip I found here. Clearly, wired would be even more optimal.
PRisoNR

Next

Return to General Help and Support