Transcoding to h264 instead of MPEG2?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Transcoding to h264 instead of MPEG2?

Postby StNick » Tue May 11, 2010 3:54 pm

I've been trying to find get the "perfect" setup for 1080p PS3 media streaming for over a year now, but alas it still eludes me. The biggest problem, as most will be aware, is subtitled MKV files that simply have to be transcoded using Mencoder or ffmpeg. This puts a huge burden on both processor and network bandwidth.

I now have a Core i7 processor running at 4ghz, and a gigabit ethernet connection to my PS3, and believe it or not, some 1080p rips will STILL bring this setup to its knees. One particularly "busy" scene that I often use to test will peak at 400mbps throughput, which seems to be the limit that the PS3 can swallow. That's the only explanation I can think of, as there should be plenty network bandwidth available, and my processor is barely breaking a sweat.

So my question is, is it possible to transcode to h264 rather than the current "highly compatible with PS3" MPEG2. I understand that this is probably FAR more taxing on the CPU, and most will not have the horsepower to encode a full length movie in less time than it takes to watch it, but I'd like to try it nonetheless. I'm hoping that h264 would be more efficient at tackling a scene like I described above where there is simply too much detail to compress without the bitrate skyrocketing out of control.
StNick

Re: Transcoding to h264 instead of MPEG2?

Postby devildog93 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:11 pm

StNick wrote:I've been trying to find get the "perfect" setup for 1080p PS3 media streaming for over a year now, but alas it still eludes me. The biggest problem, as most will be aware, is subtitled MKV files that simply have to be transcoded using Mencoder or ffmpeg. This puts a huge burden on both processor and network bandwidth.

I now have a Core i7 processor running at 4ghz, and a gigabit ethernet connection to my PS3, and believe it or not, some 1080p rips will STILL bring this setup to its knees. One particularly "busy" scene that I often use to test will peak at 400mbps throughput, which seems to be the limit that the PS3 can swallow. That's the only explanation I can think of, as there should be plenty network bandwidth available, and my processor is barely breaking a sweat.

So my question is, is it possible to transcode to h264 rather than the current "highly compatible with PS3" MPEG2. I understand that this is probably FAR more taxing on the CPU, and most will not have the horsepower to encode a full length movie in less time than it takes to watch it, but I'd like to try it nonetheless. I'm hoping that h264 would be more efficient at tackling a scene like I described above where there is simply too much detail to compress without the bitrate skyrocketing out of control.

I may be wrong but I think you are trying to do too much. 400mbps, sounds more like you are getting spike readings, and, taking readings from your screen are inaccurate.

And MKV you can try and use tsMuxer option in the #transcode# folder. Unless you need subs which you did not specify.

And don't use the on-screen display of PS3 for reading bandwidth, highly inaccurate, expecially when having problems.

I compare it to overtaxing a subwoofer, yeah, you get massive movement when it is distorting but the efficiency of the wave rolls off. You may get huge decibel readings, but it is a highly unstable, usually square wave, and the sub is not designed to play it back properly.

I think you need to download MediaInfo, so you can start understanding the differences between audio/ video codecs, and containers.
devildog93

Postby StNick » Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Thanks for the response devildog93. I did specify subtitles in my original post, and yes, that's the very reason I am trying to achieve the perfect setup for transcoding (not muxing - there's a difference).

You could be right about the reading I was getting from the PS3... Either way, I'm not hanging on that reading with much conviction, but the fact is, there is a bottleneck somewhere along the line. It's not my processor, and it's not my network throughput... I am hoping that another advanced user can shed some light on the option of perhaps transcoding to h264 rather than MPEG2 so I can see if my results are better.
StNick

Postby devildog93 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:47 pm

StNick wrote:Thanks for the response devildog93. I did specify subtitles in my original post, and yes, that's the very reason I am trying to achieve the perfect setup for transcoding (not muxing - there's a difference).

You could be right about the reading I was getting from the PS3... Either way, I'm not hanging on that reading with much conviction, but the fact is, there is a bottleneck somewhere along the line. It's not my processor, and it's not my network throughput... I am hoping that another advanced user can shed some light on the option of perhaps transcoding to h264 rather than MPEG2 so I can see if my results are better.

Yes, reading again, I missed the subs reference. I apologize.
devildog93

Postby csghone » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:34 am

Is it possible to disable the default usage of MPEG2?
I was able to figure out a mencoder-x264 setting with a 60fps encoding speed on an i5.
Since my TV also supports 264, is it possible to use PMS with 264 in a MPEGTS instead of MPEG2.

I tried using the custom codec options but nothing happens.
csghone

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Please don't necropost. Thread locked.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Return to General Help and Support