wd tv loads video slower than ps3

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

wd tv loads video slower than ps3

Postby 2ted » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Does anyone have any idea if wdtv is supposed to load videos slower than ps3?

I recently got a wd tv to stream videos to my 2nd tv.
I changed the setting in wdtvlive.conf to transcode mkv and avi to support 10 bit videos and external subtitles which wdtv doesn't appear to support. And everything is working great.

However, I noticed that wdtv is slower in loading videos from PMS compared to the PS3. PS3 would load a video instantly or within 3 seconds. But wdtv will take about 15 seconds before video is loaded and starts. If I stream natively with wdtv, the video loading time would be around 7 seconds, cutting the video loading time by half. I was wondering if there is any possible way to make my wd tv load video faster like my PS3. (BTW both the PS3 and wdtv have wired connection)

Or is it that PS3 has better hardware, therefore it is supposed to be faster than wdtv?

If anyone has any idea regarding this issue, I would appreciate it.
2ted

Re: wd tv loads video slower than ps3

Postby ExSport » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:39 pm

To your wdtvlive.conf file add this line:
Code: Select all
TranscodeFastStart=true

It will not buffer specific amount of data before it is send to renderer but it is done immediately.
ExSport

Postby 2ted » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did add that setting before, but didn't notice any speed up. I'll have to double check though because I did have issue with making the changes in conf files take effect in PMS. One of the machine, I tried rebooting the machine and reinstall PMS before I could get the conf file to work.
2ted

Postby ExSport » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:56 pm

This one should not have any side effects. Also after change you need to restart PMS to take changes in effect.
ExSport

Postby Andy3105 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Can I just ask, why would we need to change .conf settings for MKV etc and where is this file located.....

I would like to speed up the time it takes to stream from PSM to my WDTV Live, I have stopped using the in build media library function as I have found it just too flaky for my needs, PSM is super stable but any tips to streamline the experience are greatly appreciated....!!!
Andy3105

Return to Alternative Media Renderers