PS# Media server causing computer to overheat?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PS# Media server causing computer to overheat?

Postby loki993 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Ok so I installed this as an alternative to WMP and I like it so far. Everything works well and it was easy to set up. Ive had one problem though. I was watching a show in 720p and my computer crashed while playing it. So I installed a cpu monitor and while trascoding there was a 50 percent load on each core of my computer and the cpu temp shot up to about 95 degrees f. So I stopped it after that and assumed that the original crash was heat related. Is there anything I can do to reduce the load while transcoding?

Im running the media server on an HP Laptop. its running a i5 540m, dual core hyperthreading. It also has a standalone Nvidia NVS 5100m in it, don't know if that makes a difference or not.
loki993

Re: PS# Media server causing computer to overheat?

Postby meskibob » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:43 pm

The Tjunction max for that processor is 105 C, well over 95 F. You should check your system's event logs to determine the actual cause of the crash, but that is well outside the scope of this forum (as is diagnosing/fixing the issue once you have the log).
If you want to reduce the load that PMS uses, you should make sure you're streaming or remuxing content, not transcoding. Check the FAQ for additional information.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support