spontaneous stuttering (never had it before)

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

spontaneous stuttering (never had it before)

Postby nccraver » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:09 am

First, I have been using PMS for a couple of years with zero problems. Recently, stuttering has started to occur. I have not made any changes to my pc. I've looked through items 1 - 6 in the faq.

I'm hopeful for advice on what I need to check/test when things stop running correctly after having been running smoothly for years, and i have made no changes to any of my system setup. Stuttering just started. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if there is any information that I can provide to help things along.
nccraver

Re: spontaneous stuttering (never had it before)

Postby meskibob » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:54 am

What is your network setup?
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby nccraver » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:43 pm

I am using a Buffalo Nfiniti gigabit router with a wired connection using cat6 cables.

I am running PMS on an "old" computer. It is a pentium 4, 3.4 ghz with 4 gigs of ram.

Though, like I said, I've never had issue watching anything before, including 1080p at lossless quality (using tsmuxer or mencoder). I'm afraid that i might be having some hardware issue, as in, buy a new computer cheap skate. Otherwise, i dont know why things would stop working all of a sudden. Things that I watched seamlessly 2 weeks ago are unwatchable before I am even through opening credits/scenes.

Prior to the issue starting i was using version 1.50 something, i think, but i upgraded to the newest version once the problem started which did not help.
Last edited by nccraver on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nccraver

Postby Pennywise » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Am expericing the same problem

stuttering occurs a once or a few times in an hour and is usually a few stutters short after eachother before going on normally again (seems like a sync problem)

Doesnt occur the whole time & think it started with the lastest version, hadnt had any probs with previous versions

got a quad core, i5 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1yr old pc, gigabit cisco router, .... had prob in win 7 ultimate, win 8 pro, ... pms 1.70.1

Think its a mencoder thing, seems to be open double in my taskmanager & my cpu is at 56% whats way to high
Pennywise

Postby nccraver » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:09 pm

I won't leave everyone hanging, completely flummoxed. I know you are all concerned, as the outpouring of support was practically suffocating. Please pardon the sarcasm, it is meant good naturedly.

Sometimes we search for complicated remedies even if they aren't needed. Prepare yourself for this embarrassingly easy fix. I moved the Ethernet cable that runs to the PS3 from port 4 to port 3 on my router. Everything works again. Either something is physically wrong with the port or some setup was changed that was throttling the speed from port 4 to a max of 15. Once moved, I get my normal gigabit speeds back.
nccraver

Postby Raptor399 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:00 am

nccraver wrote:I won't leave everyone hanging, completely flummoxed. I know you are all concerned, as the outpouring of support was practically suffocating. Please pardon the sarcasm, it is meant good naturedly.

The silence usually indicates people are baffled and have no idea.

Glad you got it fixed, even if it is a silly fix! ;-)
Raptor399
Project Member

Return to General Help and Support