M2TS vs MKV

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

M2TS vs MKV

Postby aggsyb » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:06 am

Hi Guys,

Im currently set up using 1gb network switch streaming m2ts (uncompressed) to my ps3 and I have skip transcoding on MPEG-2 MPEG-4 AVC etc and it works perfectly my PC uses almost 0 processing power and everything works like a dream! the problem though! Some backed up movies such as avatar have tons of scattered m2ts files which obviously means I cant just play the movie through and im pretty certain PMS doesnt support the playlist files ? other movies such as Prometheus have the movie in a single m2ts file which is perfect but im guessing this all depends on which company produces the blu rays?

So my question is can I play MKV's X264 without transcoding as long as it contains MPEG-4 AVC video? (I dont have any to test right now), and secondly is there any way to play a "playlist" of m2ts files or am I stuck with whatever structure is on the bluray?

Thanks,

Ben. :)
Last edited by chocolateboy on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please keep posts on-topic
aggsyb

Re: M2TS vs MKV

Postby aggsyb » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Anyone :) ?
aggsyb

Postby ExSport » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:40 pm

PS3 supports m2ts files natively so you can play them directly. Playlist is not supported but PS3 has settings to continue after one file is played so you can play all files in one directory continually (with some pauses between each file I suppose)
So my question is can I play MKV's X264 without transcoding as long as it contains MPEG-4 AVC video?

Yes, not natively but remuxed by txMuxeR. MKV container is changed to m2ts on the fly without any loss of quality but you will loose subtitle support (PS3 can't handle it)
ExSport

Postby aggsyb » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks for the reply I guess MKV is out of the question then as I dont want to transcode at all , you mentioned the ps3 can play MT2s files, is there anyway I can get PMS to play all the files in a folder in order? I can remove all the useless mt2s files and I know which order they play in , is there any automation in this or do I have to play them manually ?

cheers
aggsyb

Postby ExSport » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:12 pm

As I said, PS3 has settings to enable continuous play so if you will play any file in folder, when it ends, next one is played automatically. Order is taken alphabetically.
ExSport

Postby aggsyb » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:45 pm

Oh wow thats so sick , exactly what im looking for :) is it turned on by default or just in the settings menu ? Thanks for the replies btw , really appreciate it
aggsyb

Postby ExSport » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:48 pm

Don't be lazy and check PS3 settings, manual or use Google how to enable it ;)
ExSport

Return to General Help and Support