Java Problem - Hung Process?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Java Problem - Hung Process?

Postby S7eele » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:35 pm

I have been using this software for a very long time and have been watching the forums for just as long. Great software but I have raved about it enough in other threads. I have been working to get either Channels or Jumpy working smoothly and have been paying close attention to logs, processes and other items that might help me out. I just noticed something that is very troubling .

It appears to me that even after closing the PMS application using the normal methods the java.exe process it spawns continues to run. After seeing this I immediately began searching these forums and found absolutely nothing. I found plenty on this forum about Java but not about it remaining open after closing PMS. I did however find an old posting from 2010 on a different forum that mentions this behavior and advises users to wait for the process to die or manually kill it before starting PMS again. Just for grins I am pasting a link to this post below:

http://dandar3.blogspot.com/2010/12/ps3-media-server-streaming-transcoding.html

I am definitely having problems with my current PMS install and have been starting and stopping it quite often. I am also certain that the Java process continues to run, I am using Process Monitor from SysInternals to monitor. So , is there a problem with the automated shutting down of java when PMS is closed or is there some other explanation for the behavior I am seeing?

Thanks
S7eele

Re: Java Problem - Hung Process?

Postby meskibob » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:40 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support