Is PS3 media server copatible with Windows 8?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Is PS3 media server copatible with Windows 8?

Postby michaeljordan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi, i am using PS3 Media server on Windows 7 and is great, but now i want to install Windows 8 so i am wondering if PS3 media server is copatible with Windows 8?
michaeljordan

Re: Is PS3 media server copatible with Windows 8?

Postby SeaFox » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:48 am

I'm using it on the Release Preview version right now and the only issue I'm having is I can't play back some files if the PCM (no reencode) audio option is turned on. If I have it transcode things like FLAC audio to AC3 those files play then. But I don't think that's a Windows 8-specfic problem since I remember it working before on version 1.6 I believe.
Intel Core i7 920 - 6 GB RAM - Windows 8 Pro x64 | PS3MS v 1.82 | Sony BDP-S580, Sony BDP-S390
SeaFox

Postby JarasM » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi, I'm running it right now on a retail version of Windows 8 Professional x64. PMS works okay if I run it manually, but I found that it doesn't start with the system by itself, and I have failed to install it as a service - it throws an error 1067 when attempting to start it.

A verbose start in the PowerShell yields the following:
Code: Select all
VERBOSE: Performing operation "Start-Service" on Target "PS3 Media Server (PS3 Media Server)".
Start-Service : Service 'PS3 Media Server (PS3 Media Server)' cannot be started due to the following error: Nie można u
tworzyć usługi PS3 Media Server na komputerze '.'.
At line:1 char:1
+ Start-Service -DisplayName “PS3 Media Server” -Verbose
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController) [Start-Service],
   ServiceCommandException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStartService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartServiceCommand

EDIT: Never mind, fixed it. 64-bit Java was to blame, this solved the problem: viewtopic.php?p=48988#p48988
However, even though the service is running, PMS is not seen on the network. I'll have to look into this more.
EDIT2: Never mind again, it was the Windows Firewall, after running wrapper.exe and giving appropriate permissions it works like a charm.
JarasM

Postby gcg » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:27 pm

When I first installed retail 64-bit Win8 PMS ran fine normally (haven't tried as a service yet) and was spotted by the PS3 without issue. Since though, after a reboot, I cannot get my Win8 computer and the PS3 to see each other for the life of me. I have no idea what could have possibly changed.

I've tried forwarding the DLNA ports manually. I've tried setting the Windows Firewall to defaults and letting Java through again when it pops up ... both for private and public networks. I've screwed around with this thing for a couple hours now and have no idea why it suddenly stopped working. Checked the installed Windows updates too and nothing seems obvious.
gcg

Postby gcg » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:18 am

Sooooooo...

I reinstalled Java, removed 64-bit Java, checked the SSDP service, reinstalled PS3mediaserver, screwed around with ports for hours.

I finally got smart and turned off the Windows Firewall (on private networks) ... and PS3 Media Server STILL didn't work.

At this point I'd pretty much isolated that the problem wasn't actually my Win8 computer. So I unplugged my router and the gigabit switch that gives me a 1000 Mb connection between my PC and PS3, plugged them back in, and the PS3mediaserver magically started working again.

I've been using this set up for years before Win8 came along. I have no idea why it suddenly failed. The other weird part is that the PS3 could still see the built-in Win8 media server despite PS3mediaserver not being acknowledged. It is a mystery.
gcg

Windows 8 support

Postby PaddyWi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Hey,
I was wondering if the current PMS version supports Windows 8. Is there any need for a special Windows 8 integration anyway?

I couldn't find anything about this, wikipedia doesn't list Windows 8 as a supported O/S.
PaddyWi

Postby meskibob » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 pm

You could read the three posters above you saying they have PMS working with Windows 8...
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby PaddyWi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Thank you.
PaddyWi

Does PS3 Media Server work on Windows 8?

Postby hoodie232 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:00 am

I am willing to buy a new laptop with Windows 8 using PMS on it.
hoodie232

Postby Illico » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:58 am

Not sure if that could help, but with Serviio on Windows8, you have to enable HomeGroup sharing...
Sony Bravia KDL-46EX501 | Sony BDP-S373 | Sony SMP-N100 |Serviio / PS3MS | Buffalo 2Share DD
Illico

Return to General Help and Support