Why might I need a 'renderer' with Samsung Series 7

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Why might I need a 'renderer' with Samsung Series 7

Postby ginjaninjanick » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:04 pm

Have spent 2 days testing dlna capabilities of the 2012 TVs from LG,Panasonic and Samsung.
(All btw could natively play (without transcoding) all test content through PS3 Media Server, MKV, High Profile H264, 40Mbitss, DTS 6 channel, 1080p, SBS 3D, Subtitle selection + off,Usable Seek FF/RW).
Decided on Series 7 Samsung for Web browser capability and sound.

But when a tv can support the content natively, what purpose do the individual renderers/.config files play?
I just manually put mkv in the manual overide section for 'do not transocde'....
Might i still want a specific config file for a series 7 samsung? and if so why?

thanks
ginjaninjanick

Re: Why might I need a 'renderer' with Samsung Series 7

Postby ginjaninjanick » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:48 pm

reading other threads, perhaps my assumption that "if the 2012 series 7 could play these mkvs it could easily handle typical codecs in avi and mp4" was too optimistic...and this is why a config is still required?
I am worried now,,,,,going to do a whole lot more testing with avis and mp4s.......

is there a specific config file for a 2012 samsung.../series 7 2012 samsung?
ginjaninjanick

Postby ginjaninjanick » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:10 pm

panic over,samsung plays all common containers (divx, avi, mp4, mkv), all common codecs (dix 3-5, normal and low profiles, xvid, ac3, aac, aac-lc, mp3)...even alows embedded subtitle switching and audio track switching.
only codec it wouldnt play was vorbis audio.

so is there any need for a config file, if the device will play all content without transcoding?

apart from vorbis, coulnt get external srt subtitles to play (although ps3ms did append {external subtitle file} tag to file, indicating it was aware, so maybe if i allowed transcoding it would have muxed in the srt file.).
ginjaninjanick

Postby Raptor399 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:20 am

The configuration files help PMS in selecting how to behave when a device connects. So if you fire up your Samsung TV, you want PMS to stream just about everything. But when you fire up your PS3, PMS needs to behave differently. The .conf files tell PMS how to recognize a device and what the device is capable of.

Of course you are free to tinker with the settings to make everything work optimal for your particular setup and media library.
However we ship PMS with a lot of .conf files which should make it work out of the box for most people.
Raptor399
Project Member

Return to Alternative Media Renderers