Streaming on Philips Flat-TV and fastforward troubles

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Streaming on Philips Flat-TV and fastforward troubles

Postby fritschi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:42 pm

hallo,
i have just installes ps3-mediaserver and tryed to stream to my philips flat. My Philips 37PFL9604H/12 is recognized as "Philips Aurea" and at the beginning it looks al fine.
But when i try to fastforwad a video i allway get snch-problems with sound.

Q: is this a known problem?
Q: can i disable transcoding when not needed?
Q: what can i try to handle this audio synch-trouble

fritschi
fritschi

Re: Streaming on Philips Flat-TV and fastforward troubles

Postby leroy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Hello fritschi,

Try the config-file I wrote for the Philips 32PFL9604H/12: (you have to replace the existing Philips.conf)
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12368&p=74066#p73951

It gives native support for the files that are supported by this TV.

I noticed that this TV has some nasty restrictions, read the "Findings" included into the config-file.

Unfortunately I also noticed trouble with fast forward or rewind while transcoding.
I guess this is because this renderer can't handle the higher bandwidth.

You can use the PMS option "#--TRANSCODE--# folder chapter support (interval in minutes)",
instead of fast forward or rewind for video that need transcoding.

But fast forward or rewind is supported with native supported video.
leroy

Postby fritschi » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:16 am

Thanks,
i will try this config

I am wondering what this folder #--TRANSCODE--# means. There are the same files like in the main folder. And can i disable transcoding so i find out which files need to be transcoded. Or ist transcoding automatic disabled if the video/audio is nativ supported.

mfg
fritschi
fritschi

Postby leroy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:18 pm

I am wondering what this folder #--TRANSCODE--# means. There are the same files like in the main folder.

Yes the same files are given in the #--TRANSCODE--# folder as in the main folder,
but here you can overrule the GUI settings and you can choose other desired transcode options for the file like:
the used transcode engine, subtitle-track (language) and audio-track (language).
There is also a option [No encoding] (no transcoding) for files that are native supported.
Also the chapter support can be found here, if this option is enabled in the GUI.

And can i disable transcoding so i find out which files need to be transcoded. Or ist transcoding automatic disabled if the video/audio is nativ supported.

Yes, transcoding is automatic disabled for the native supported files.
The native supported audio/video formats are programmed into the renderer config-file.

However if the video-file has subtitles, and subtitles were not disabled in the GUI, the native supported file will be transcoded.
To see subtitles on the Philips TV, transcoding is needed, because subtitles are not native supported.

note: For good transcode performance, a heavy CPU and wired connection is required.
leroy

Postby fritschi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:44 am

Subtitles are disabled an i use wlan-connection.

I´l try the next full-hd stream with ps3-mediamanager. With Tversity (last free version) i could see a real-HD .ts without probleams. Only twice the picture stuttered and the sound got asynchron but with pause and play the problem could be fixed.

The linking quality is 90% at 54MBit and TSDoctor tells that the stream is about 20-22Mbit - so wlan should be fast enough.

mfg
fritschi
fritschi

Postby fritschi » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:39 am

Now i have connected my extern usb-hd (500GB) to my netgear router. This router DGND3300v2 can also act as media-server (this feature was implemented in a later firmware so i forgot).

After one minute the router finds the hdd and than i startet a manual search for media-files (over webinterface router 192.168.0.1). Than i have switched of the pc and startet the philips pfl9604h/12. The tv finds the mediaserver and the files are shown.

When i start a file .mpg i can watch the film. But when i start a.ts file nothing happens. I thought the philips can handle h264 native ?
It looks i need PS3-Mediaserver to transcode this .ts files and so the PC needs to be started.

mfg
fritschi
fritschi

Postby leroy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:13 pm

The pfl9604h/12 (2009) Philips TV can only play MPEG Program Streams native (no Transport Streams).
FAQ: Philips TV's are supported by PMS

MpegTS is native supported since, xxPFLxxx5 (2010) Philips TV's.
leroy

Postby fritschi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:30 am

thats strange - my 9604H/12 is a Net-TV and in the conf (link higher above) there is a comment that my philips should support native ts-streams.
fritschi

Return to Alternative Media Renderers