PS3 Cannot Find PMS on PC running Windows 7

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PS3 Cannot Find PMS on PC running Windows 7

Postby somf4eva » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Hello,

First Off:
I am running Windows 7 64 with an Actiontec MI424WR router. I am trying to connect from my PC, to the router using and Ethernet cable, then to my PS3 wirelessly.

My current version is 1.70.1.

I have been messing around with PMS for a while now, not really understanding alot of what I was doing, but reading enough to understand how to get it working whenever I have had a problem.

Recently, I became unable to see PMS on my PS3, when in all other instances I was.

I thought it might be my router or the PS3, so I messed around with those settings. However, when i run PMS on my laptop, it shows up and runs fine.

I can post the debug log if needed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
somf4eva

Re: PS3 Cannot Find PMS on PC running Windows 7

Postby meskibob » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:34 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby somf4eva » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Thank you for your reply. I had tried all of these suggestions but I went back and tried them again.....no luck.

However, reading each one, I thought it might be a router thing seeing as my laptop worked but was wireless and my pc is directly connected.

found a website for my router and I disabled the IGMP Proxy.

No idea what that is or how it fixed it, but I thought I would at least post it up in case anyone else had this problem.

Thanks again for your help.
somf4eva

Postby meskibob » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Hmmm, that should really only affect multicast packets. Maybe your router has a busted implementation that was affecting broadcast packets as well (difference between wired and wireless also indicates this). Thanks for following up!

To note: the FAQ does cover this (at a higher level) under viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&p=32731#pms-pms_faq_connectivity_router
Specifically:
Check your router's settings to see if there are any settings to allow UDP traffic or multicast traffic.

and
Some routers are crap and either a) don't have the proper settings or b) just mishandle traffic regardless of the settings. This can even vary within the same router for wired vs wireless traffic.

Unfortunately, providing more details in the FAQ isn't really feasible given the number of routers and configuration options.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby jawnskeel » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:40 am

somf4eva wrote:Thank you for your reply. I had tried all of these suggestions but I went back and tried them again.....no luck.

However, reading each one, I thought it might be a router thing seeing as my laptop worked but was wireless and my pc is directly connected.

found a website for my router and I disabled the IGMP Proxy.

No idea what that is or how it fixed it, but I thought I would at least post it up in case anyone else had this problem.

Thanks again for your help.

This worked PERFECTLY. My ps3mediaserver is now working with my new verizon fios router. This should be top result on google for verizon fios router ps3mediaserver issues.
jawnskeel

Postby euckersw » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:33 pm

This worked for me too - on a Verizon Fios Actiontec router. Apparently there was a firmware upgrade pushed out to the router in the past month or so that enabled IGMP proxy. It was killing me, as PS3 Media Server had been working fine for me for over a year and then suddenly I could no longer "see" it on my PS3. Then I found this thread, and I had everything back up and working within 2 minutes!:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r275957 ... oCA-bridge

Here's the info from that thread:

Try disabling the IGMP proxy on the main router.

Click on the Advanced icon.
Select IGMP proxy from the menu.
Select Disabled from the first pulldown.
Click Apply.

I realize that you can't post troubleshooting info in the FAQ for every combination of router/service, but this might help a lot of folks using Verizon Fios because as I understand it everyone is going to get this firmware upgrade, which will then "break" PS3 Media Server. I hope this helps others as much as it helped me!
euckersw

Postby andrewran » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:19 pm

euckersw wrote:This worked for me too - on a Verizon Fios Actiontec router. Apparently there was a firmware upgrade pushed out to the router in the past month or so that enabled IGMP proxy. It was killing me, as PS3 Media Server had been working fine for me for over a year and then suddenly I could no longer "see" it on my PS3. Then I found this thread, and I had everything back up and working within 2 minutes!:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r275957 ... oCA-bridge

Here's the info from that thread:

Try disabling the IGMP proxy on the main router.

Click on the Advanced icon.
Select IGMP proxy from the menu.
Select Disabled from the first pulldown.
Click Apply.

I realize that you can't post troubleshooting info in the FAQ for every combination of router/service, but this might help a lot of folks using Verizon Fios because as I understand it everyone is going to get this firmware upgrade, which will then "break" PS3 Media Server. I hope this helps others as much as it helped me!

Thank you very much for this! I have Fios and couldn't figure out why my PS3 wasn't being seen anymore. I tried everything before and nothing worked until this fix. Thank you again!
andrewran

Postby meskibob » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:27 pm

I've added a reference to IGMP in the FAQ post.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support