Streaming to Android Device

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Kindle fire

Postby Raptor399 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 am

jtkstc wrote:Since you already support android, could you add a module for kindle fire? Thank you :D

I don't have a Kindle Fire, but it is easy to create a .conf file yourself:

FAQ: My device is not supported by PMS. How can I create a custom renderer.conf to make PMS recognize my device?
Raptor399
Project Member

Re: Streaming to Android Device

Postby Raptor399 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:47 am

gooffeyguy wrote:I have found that the Android.conf file only lists mkv, hdmov, hdm, flac, fla, dts, ogg, asf, asx, m2v as filet type extensions to stream so all others need to be transcoded. I know on my Galaxy Tab 2 running ICS v4.0.4 it can natively ply other file types such as avi, mp4, mpeg, etc. so I added them to the end of the StreamExtensions= line and everything seems to play fine, even wmv and mov files.

Here is what I have for the last line in the Android.conf file:

StreamExtensions=mkv,hdmov,hdm,flac,fla,dts,ogg,asf,asx,m2v,mp4,mpg,mpeg,avi,mov,wmv

I'm sure there are probably others, but these make up most of my media types that I have on my server.

Committed this update, thanks!
Raptor399
Project Member

Streaming to an android device

Postby cormack12 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:00 am

Hi wondering if anyone can provide a bit of advice. It's not an issue as I'm running in a relative unsupported config. More of a nice to-have.

My PS3 is fine and streams what I want great. I have it set up as the only renderer (I've chosen not to search for any extra renderers and set it to PS3 in the drop down menu).

I've been trying lately to stream to a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. I'm using HomeMediaUpnp and DX Player. The small avi files are fine, they stream and are probably about 200-800MB in size. No problems and I can watch them wherever in the house.

I've tried streaming the *.mkv files just for fun and to my surprise they actually started to play. However after a few minutes they just stopped and buffered. I'm trying to find out where the bottleneck is and what I can do to fix it? Is it a renderer issue? Would I be best to convert the *.mkv into smaller mobile formats? Is it the tablet's processor?

An example seems to be I can watch the credits of a show then it freezes when it starts while it buffers.
cormack12

Postby ExSport » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Who has problems with transcoding in Android devices (not pure streaming!) I found out that some players (external ones) like MX Player require data sent in chunks so adding
Code: Select all
ChunkedTransfer = true
in Android.conf file is mandatory.
Internal player in Android 4.2 doesn't need it but all other external ones which we are using due to HW acceleration refused all transcoded file.
This parameter had no influence on internal player so I think we can use it all the time but before adding it to config I will be glad for any experience from your side.
Thanks
ExSport

Postby ExSport » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:07 pm

ExSport

Previous

Return to Alternative Media Renderers