Subtitles broken since 1.60.0

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Subtitles broken since 1.60.0

Postby knuweb » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Back to 1.54 everything works again…
thank you for all your answers.
knuweb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:35 pm

Subtitles do not work in newer versions (1.70.1, 1.60.0)

Postby renatocn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Subtitles do not work in versions 1.70.1 and 1.60.0, but work in 1.54.0

I don't know if it is a Mac OS X version specific issue, but is the version I use.

Setup:
- MacBook Air with PMS 1.70.1
- Xbox360 as render

After looking for answers around the web for the subtitles issue and tried o lot of configs, I started downgrading the PMS versions since I had used with a PS3 render in the past and subtitles were ok.
So in version 1.54.0 the subtitles works, but in 1.60.0 and 1.70.1 don't.

I don't know if there is already a fix or specific config to solve it, but I'm using a deprecated version (1.54.0) and it is working fine here.
renatocn
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: Subtitles broken since 1.60.0

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:49 am

Try the following:

  • Open the "Transcoding Settings" tab
  • Select the video file engine "MEncoder"
  • Empty the field "Audio/subtitles language priority"

You can also try disabling the option "Use ASS/SSA subtitle styling".

Does that solve the problem?
Raptor399
Project Member
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 am

Re: Subtitles broken since 1.60.0

Postby Raptor399 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:17 pm

I have done some extensive command line testing with MEncoder and movies with (embedded and external) subtitles on Mac OSX.
The culprit turns out to be fontconfig, which does not manage to find any fonts. As a result MEncoder could not find any font to render the subs with. On top of that: if MEncoder is compiled with fontconfig support, the "-font" flag should provide a font name, not a file path as PMS did.

I committed a fix that will always supply a font file path to the MEncoder command line for OSX, plus I updated MEncoder to a version compiled (for OSX 10.7+) without fontconfig so it will accept that font file path.

All subs in my test files show up now, even Hebrew and Arab subs! The one exception are Japanese subs, which show as blocks. Before the fix these didn't show at all, not much of an improvement there.

There still is room for improvement: ASS/SSA subs will now only use the default font. Some subs may look different, but at least they show.
I hope this solves the long running problems with broken subs on Mac OSX.
Raptor399
Project Member
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 am

Previous

Return to Mac OS X Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests