Troubles From the Beginning

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Troubles From the Beginning

Postby pkdowning » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:28 am

Mac OSX Leopard iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo -> Airport Extreme-N (gigabit) -> PS3 wirelessly

When I heard about the PS3 Media Server I was very excited about it. I was really excited because I used to use an AppleTV and most of my movies are in m4v format. I never had any problems with streaming movies to my AppleTV. However, I am baffled by the Media Server program. I can't seem to get any consistency at all. I have tried all kinds of settings and I can't seem to get the stuttering and the audio syncing to work. It seems as soon as the video bandwidth gets above 5Mbps is when the stuttering begins and no matter what I do, the audio with voices has never seemed to be in sync. I have even tried upgrading to the latest beta version without success. In fact, when I did upgrade to the beta version, the movie I was doing all of my testing with would have no audio at all, but some of my older m4v movies would have audio. I thought it may have something to do with the m4v files I had so I decided to use a Video_TS file. I was really excited at first because it wasn't nearly as choppy and my receiver actually showed a dolby digital signal instead of the Pro Logic PCM. Anyway, the excitement didn't last long, because as soon as their was dialog in the movie, it wasn't even in English!!! I tried two Video_TS movies one played in Japanese and the other played in French.
I really want this program to work for me. Can anyone help me out?

My current configuration is:
Transcode buffer: 600
AC3 bitrate: 384
Max bandwidth: 15
Mpeg2 setting: Good
Definitely disable subtitles is checked
A/V sync alt method is checked

All other settings, if not mentioned are set as default

Thanks for all your help in advance.
pkdowning

Re: Troubles From the Beginning

Postby j2048b » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:28 am

pkdowning wrote:Mac OSX Leopard iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo -> Airport Extreme-N (gigabit) -> PS3 wirelessly

When I heard about the PS3 Media Server I was very excited about it. I was really excited because I used to use an AppleTV and most of my movies are in m4v format. I never had any problems with streaming movies to my AppleTV. However, I am baffled by the Media Server program. I can't seem to get any consistency at all. I have tried all kinds of settings and I can't seem to get the stuttering and the audio syncing to work. It seems as soon as the video bandwidth gets above 5Mbps is when the stuttering begins and no matter what I do, the audio with voices has never seemed to be in sync. I have even tried upgrading to the latest beta version without success. In fact, when I did upgrade to the beta version, the movie I was doing all of my testing with would have no audio at all, but some of my older m4v movies would have audio. I thought it may have something to do with the m4v files I had so I decided to use a Video_TS file. I was really excited at first because it wasn't nearly as choppy and my receiver actually showed a dolby digital signal instead of the Pro Logic PCM. Anyway, the excitement didn't last long, because as soon as their was dialog in the movie, it wasn't even in English!!! I tried two Video_TS movies one played in Japanese and the other played in French.
I really want this program to work for me. Can anyone help me out?

My current configuration is:
Transcode buffer: 600
AC3 bitrate: 384
Max bandwidth: 15
Mpeg2 setting: Good
Definitely disable subtitles is checked
A/V sync alt method is checked

All other settings, if not mentioned are set as default

Thanks for all your help in advance.

I have been trying to help this person out over at another forum and i was totally lost when all of this happened!!

i am lost as well so hopefully

SHAGRATH!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!

WE NEEDS SOME HELP!!
j2048b

Postby shagrath » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:30 am

m4v/mov are one of the worst kind of format to work with (along with rmvb, my other favorite :p). mencoder does not support it very well.
about language, it's very difficult to play the right one, because... there's no language codes defined in most m4v converted with handbrake
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby j2048b » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:50 am

shagrath wrote:m4v/mov are one of the worst kind of format to work with (along with rmvb, my other favorite :p). mencoder does not support it very well.
about language, it's very difficult to play the right one, because... there's no language codes defined in most m4v converted with handbrake

I myself have had no problems when forceing transcodeing of m4v, and mp4's yu told me to do this at one point in time, and i have never had issues since!!

so is there maybe another problem especially with the persons stuttering durring playback?

thanks!!
j2048b

Postby j2048b » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:30 pm

any help at all?

come on peeps i know we have had these issues before here on this thread!!
j2048b

Postby pkdowning » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:59 pm

I guess with no replies, I am the only one with this problem. I suppose this program wasn't meant to work for me.

Thanks anyway
pkdowning

Postby j2048b » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:35 pm

no man!!

this is an awesome program but these people are to busy i guess to help anyone out, kinda crappy sevice huh?

hopefully these people who have gone through this will post soon?

if not then i would post it again and again until they finally quit being selfish and help people out
j2048b

Postby pkdowning » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:09 am

Ok I have an update. I downloaded a .mkv movie file and played it using PS3 Media Server. It played very well. The video didn't stutter and the voices were in sync with the audio. I started to get a glimpse at how this program is supposed to work. So obviously I thought there was a problem with the PS3 Media Server handling my .m4v movie files. I played one of my older .m4v movies files and guess what....it worked, no stuttering and the voices were in sync!! These files were encoded with Handbrake and an older AppleTV preset. This got me thinking. My newest .m4v files were also encoded with Handbrake. However, I used the newest AppleTV presets within Handbrake.
Has anyone else had these same results? For those of you that do use .m4v file extensions, what program and presets do you use?

Thanks.
pkdowning

Postby j2048b » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:20 am

i used the newest apple tv settings and will try to watch a program tonihgt!!

i will let you know how it goes!!
j2048b

Return to Mac OS X Support