MAC Address Filtering As Well As the IP Filter

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

MAC Address Filtering As Well As the IP Filter

Postby Slayer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:36 am

As it is easy for DHCP to give a device an IP address that gives it access to the media server that you don't want ( even giving devices static IP address doesn't help because when the device is off it give it's IP address to another device)

I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement a MAC address filter to work with the IP filter at the same time. I hope it's not to hard :)

Thankyou for considering and this software is awesome!
Slayer

Re: MAC Address Filtering As Well As the IP Filter

Postby chocolateboy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:05 am

Slayer wrote:when the device is off it give it's IP address to another device

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15107&p=72674#p72674
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby Slayer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:19 am

Hi Chocolateboy,

DHCP reservations don't work. when the device with the reservation is turned off it hands the IP address to a different device. i've tried and tried to stop this from happening but can't
Slayer

Postby meskibob » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:05 am

Typically you set DHCP reservations at the end of the DHCP range to avoid this. You can also (atleast on my router [WRT54G with Tomato FW]) limit the DHCP range but still assign static DHCP IPs outside of that range.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby chocolateboy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:49 am

Slayer wrote:DHCP reservations don't work

They work for me with a bog-standard router, and have done for years.

when the device with the reservation is turned off it hands the IP address to a different device

That's dynamic or automatic allocation, not static allocation (see here for the terminology). As the name suggests, DHCP reservation (static allocation) reserves the IP address per MAC address and doesn't assign it to other devices.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby Slayer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:02 am

I understand the different methods of allocating IP Addresses. IP reservation and Static allocation are the same thing.

I'm assigning a IP address to a computer by entering it's mac address into a table and the ip address i want it to have but (and i tested this alot with different devices) when the device that has the reserved address is turned off it gives it to another device.
Slayer

Postby DevlshOne » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:08 am

Slayer wrote:I'm assigning a IP address to a computer by entering it's mac address into a table and the ip address i want it to have but (and i tested this alot with different devices) when the device that has the reserved address is turned off it gives it to another device.

Would you believe that in this day and age there are still some off-the-shelf routers that do not offer Address Reservations? Therefore, even if the IP address has been set on a specific device (static), if that device is disconnected from the network, the DHCP server will quickly re-assign that IP to a new device (when added). Even worse, if that device with the identical static IP is re-connected, IP conflicts will result. So, MAC address filtering is a much better option!
Server: WHS 2011 - AMD Athlon 2.8GHz {Black Edition} - 4GB PC2-6400 - 7TB
Renderers: 2 PS3s {500GB SSHybridD}, 1 HT-RC360, 1 Excite10, 1 GSIII, 1 BDP-S280
Helping the PS3MS team with development and problem resolution
GO DAWGS!
DevlshOne

Return to Feature Suggestions