Sony BDP-S590

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Sony BDP-S590

Postby sonnysavage » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:39 am

Changing the avi line to:
Code: Select all
Supported = f:avi|divx   v:divx|mp4   a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/mp4

...transcodes them by default, so I can watch them, but it seems like they should be natively supported by the Sony BDP-S590.
sonnysavage

Postby lichbane » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:28 am

jaynet333 wrote:Okay, I'm making some headway. Looks like the most recent firmware update for the S590 caused the player to pay more attention to the mime type being sent by PS3media. I modified the following to 2 lines in the SonyBluyray.conf renderer config file to more properly reflect the mime types, and now avi and mp4 videos play okay.

Supported = f:mp4|m4v v:mp4|h264 a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/mp4
Supported = f:avi|divx v:divx|mp4 a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/x-divx

I did the above and it seemed to work for mp4 and most avi files, but anything coming up as m2ts still comes up as corruped. This is using the latest firmware on a BPD-S390. They all work fine on the PS3, but as I want to use the blu-ray as my primary media client, I'd prefer to get this working.
lichbane

Postby byte-smasher » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:39 pm

I've been quite disappointed over all with the lack of compatibility with the Sony BDP-S590. Even before this issue arose, many of the videos in my collection would not seek properly... and some would not play at all.

I'd totally be willing to debug through all these issues and create a proper config file for this player, but I have no clue where to start.
byte-smasher

Postby Tulisuudelma » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks Sonny,

I can confirm that using this code the server works for most MKV (all i tried) and some AVIs as well.

In case someone figures out how to get all avis working and posts the code here I would greatly appreciate this.

Meanwhile have to use Azureus etc to play the files it takes next PMS to release with hopefully fix for this :)
Tulisuudelma

Postby hybear » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:00 pm

After hours of trial and error, here is what I did to make the mkv, mp4, and wmv works.

For the setting in PS3 Media Server,
1. Go to Transcoding Settings Tab.
2. Select Common transcode settings from the left Panel.
3. Key in mp4, mkv, wmv in the box next to "Skip transcode for the following extensions(comma separated):"

Without these setting, it seems that PMS will change some of the mp4 or mkv file to m2ts.

For the configuration file,

Supported = f:wmv v:wmv|vc1 a:wma m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mp4|m4v v:mp4|h264 a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mkv v:mp4|divx|h264 a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/mp4
hybear

Postby Tulisuudelma » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks for posting more info! I'll try these out as well.

I managed to make all mp4 work with previous guide, from what it seems these don't affect avis that the setup sonny posted had problems.

hybear wrote:After hours of trial and error, here is what I did to make the mkv, mp4, and wmv works.

For the setting in PS3 Media Server,
1. Go to Transcoding Settings Tab.
2. Select Common transcode settings from the left Panel.
3. Key in mp4, mkv, wmv in the box next to "Skip transcode for the following extensions(comma separated):"

Without these setting, it seems that PMS will change some of the mp4 or mkv file to m2ts.

For the configuration file,

Supported = f:mkv v:mp4|divx|h264 a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/mp4
Tulisuudelma

Postby hybear » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:22 am

For avi files, it is a bit tricky. Both DivX and Xvid use the avi extension.
However, BDP-S590 only support Xvid, and does not support DviX.
The good news is there is a work around for BDP-S590 to handle DivX by changing the FourCC code of the DivX files to XVID.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396469/offic ... hread/1590
hybear

Postby Tools902 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:13 pm

I have also been struggling with getting mkv, mp4, avi, and divx files to play with the BDP-S590. I am currently using PMS 1.70.1 where it has resolved the renderer detection to be the Sony Bluray again instead of the SMP-N100. I have used some of the suggestions in this thread for resolving most of the mp4 and mkv files, but was still having problems with some mkv files and with any avi files that used divx as the video encoder, which resulted in the files being reported as corrupted or unsupported. When I investigated the mkv files that were having issues (I use MediaInfo to determine video encoder), I found that although the video format was shown as avc, it had been written to the mkv file using the Divx libraries.
divx-avc.JPG
divx-avc.JPG (15.69 KiB) Viewed 4296 times

Here is what I have found works for me:
In the SonyBluray.conf file I have the following under Video:
Code: Select all
Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts   v:mpeg1|mpeg2   a:ac3|dts|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:mpegts   v:h264|vc1   a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts
Supported = f:mp4|m4v   v:mp4|h264   a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/mp4
Supported = f:avi   v:mp4|xvid   a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/avi
Supported = f:mkv   v:mp4|xvid|h264   a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/x-matroska
Supported = f:divx   v:divx   a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3   m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:wmv   v:wmv|vc1   a:wma   n:2   m:video/x-ms-wmv

In the PS3 Media Server main panel, on the Transcoding Settings tab I have the following:
Skip transcode for the following extensions = avi, mp4, mkv
Force transcode for the following extentions = divx

Any files I have that were encoded with divx, I change the file extension from avi or mkv to be divx. The divx files then show as M2TS in the BDP-S590 menu, and are transcoded, but they play without having to re-encode with xvid or play around with the FourCC code. All mp4, non-divx mkv, and non-divx avi files play natively and seek (ff and rew) works very well. Any transcoded divx files the seek does not work. I don't use subtitles so I'm not sure if this affects those. I also don't use wmv, so I have not tested that format.
Tools902

Postby BreezeTDK » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:04 am

I am giving up searching and finally going to ask for help. Could someone please tell me how to edit the configuration file. I go to the program files/ps3 media server/renderers/SonyBluray.conf and I replace everything between #-----video and #-----audio with the suggested:

but then I can't save it. I think it said I don't have permission or something and then it let me save it into documents, but changed it to a .txt file. Am I doing anything right? Am I at least replacing the correct part of the .conf file? Do I need another program to work with the .conf files? I would very much appreciate any help and please don't worry about being as detailed as you like because I already feel like an idiot. :(
BreezeTDK

Postby Raptor399 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:44 am

I think Windows by default refuses to let you edit anything inside the "Program Files" directory.

To be able to edit that file, you need to either log in as Administrator (or any login with Administrator rights), or use "Run as" to run the editor as Administrator and then edit the file.

Hope that helps!
Raptor399
Project Member

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers