Transcoder seems to be buggy in 1.54 and 1.60

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Transcoder seems to be buggy in 1.54 and 1.60

Postby cyberangel » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:33 am

I wanted to touch on this because when I use the same file in VLC Media PLayer, or Plex there are no problems. In P3MS it seems that some files are blocky, by that I mean pixelated in places that it shouldn't be. Yet the same file plays fine as described on Plex on the playstation 3.

Both media servers are running on the same machine, with 18g of memory (physical) so its not a memory problem. Network is a gigabit network, so I doubt it is a bandwidth issue, especially since the same file plays fine on the PS3 using Plex.

My guess is it is the transcoding of mkv files to be played on the PS3 from P3MS.

And I have seen this getting worse since version 1.42. Version 1.60 refuses to even play files full stop... So I had to roll back to 1.54 to watch my tv shows.
cyberangel

Re: Transcoder seems to be buggy in 1.54 and 1.60

Postby cyberangel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:07 pm

I see Version 1.70 and 1.71 still are broken!
cyberangel

Postby meskibob » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:58 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby cyberangel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:11 pm

Hmmm, I think I covered all that before posting.

There is nothing more I can add. Since V1.60 was released ALL files now skip playback. No ifs no buts.
cyberangel

Postby meskibob » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm not seeing the debug.log... (#6)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby cyberangel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:49 pm

That is because there is nothing in the debug log to show.

I have deleted it, and played a tv show or movie and nothing shows up to what is causing the skipping.

All I know is that Plex, VLC and about 15 other programs I have tried DO NOT have this issue. But something since V1.54 is now causing this.

And have I tried this on a number of computers, yes I have tried this on 3 computers and a laptop and all suffer the same problem on Windows XP, 7 and Windows 8 so you can eliminate the OS because V1.54 works fine on all these too.
cyberangel

Postby cyberangel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:54 pm

I will also add that I have 376 movies, and around 765 Tv Shows. The problem occurs on every single movie and TV Show.

Whether it is a movie or Tv Show given to me, or I have converted my own Box Sets. It doesn't matter, every version after V1.54 when playing content will skip playback.
cyberangel

Postby meskibob » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:02 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by skip. Plus you said in the OP that some files wouldn't play, hence the request for the debug.log.
If you mean stuttering, then you should follow the FAQ, and yes, a debug.log from both versions can help diagnose whether there's a difference regarding streaming/remuxing/transcoding that is leading to your performance issues.
If you mean actual skipping (file jumps from one point in time to another), then you should again follow the FAQ.
meskibob

Postby cyberangel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:18 pm

Sorry...

I had posted another post where it mentioned the skipping posts.

Yes in the original post I talk about being blocky, now the best way I can describe this is that there are solid blocks of color. In this case, If we take the movies Star Wars for example, the laser fire is not a single line as you would expect it to be. Instead it is blocks of colour instead of a single line.

But yes it does skip, forward and reverse as well. But the blockyiness also happens on V1.54

So if I grab my DVD (Star wars) and convert the movie with mekMKV then playing the movie will be blocky, but will play fine as stated in all other programs.

As for the playback, the link you point me to is changing the JVM heap. Now if V1.54 also had this problem then I would consider looking at that option, but as the settings for V1.54 and all subsequent versions are the same, then this is not the issue either.

Also that link points to this being a memory problem, well I have 18gb of ram and I doubt that this is the issue as my OP states.

I appreciate your help here, but I have spent 6 months going through settings, and configurations to see any differences between the versions. All I know is the after V1.54 the program is now useless to not just me, but everyone I have recommended this program too. And I can tell you that most of those people are not technically minded, so after talking with them and looking at their settings compared to mine, there is an issue that is not at this end.

So that leaves the problem with every version after V1.54 as being the problem.

And personally I am getting sick of this program, not because it didn't have potential, but because a problem had been introduced that is causing this in the program itself. And it is also not a network issue, because that would mean every version would have the same issue.

Again I am happy to give you anything that I can, but I can't give you what I don't have, and the debug logs have nothing to indicate the problem.

I am currently watching a movie at the moment, as soon as it is finished I will again reinstall V1.71 and show you the logs, but I am telling you there is nothing in it that will help you.
cyberangel

Postby meskibob » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:28 pm

I do not remember exactly when, but somewhere in that time frame there were changes to the garbage collection methodology, and other changes that also impact how the program handles memory (overall system memory impacts total heap size, not the internal workings of the heap). So yes, despite not having the skips in 1.54, you will need to follow the suggestions in that FAQ post (modifying the BAT or changing buffer size or disabling features), provided you actually have the listed lines in your debug.log. If you don't, then something new is going on and more information is needed.

As for the "blockiness", a sample file (as requested in #7 of the Problem Reporting Guidelines) can help determine where the issue lies and whether it can be fixed within PMS or if it's a bug with the transcoding engine being used.
meskibob

Next

Return to General Help and Support