PS3 Media Server 1.60.0 is released

Announcements about PS3 Media Server

PS3 Media Server 1.60.0 is released

Postby happy.neko » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:50 pm

General:

Please download it from here.

We have good news for animation and foreign-language film lovers. Subtitle support has been significantly improved with this release. Now you can expect results comparable to software PC video players.

Image Image

Full changelog:

• Added support for PGS (Blu-ray) subtitles
  • Added support for TX3G (MPEG-4 Timed Text) subtitles
  • Added support for VobSub (DVD) subtitles in MP4 container
  • Better handling of embedded SSA/ASS subs styling
  • Fixed audio track selection for MP4s and MOVs
  • Fixed DV videos detection
  • Added support for WebM videos downloaded from YouTube
  • Optimized CBRVideoBitrate value for Panasonic TVs (thanks, ExSport!)
  • Added new renderer: Sony SMP-N100 (thanks, mrw1986 and guillepalao!)
  • Localized audio and subtitle priority defaults
  • Language updates:
    • Catalan translation update (thanks, aseques!)
    • Simplified Chinese translation update (thanks, lovenemesis!)

Important information about plugins:
Due to the removal of some deprecated methods, some plugins may be incompatible with this version of PS3 Media Server unless/until developers update them.

Upgrade Notes:

For 1.23.0 and above:
  • Just uninstall the older version and install the newer one
For versions prior to 1.23.0:
  • To retain your old settings you may have to copy your old config file/s to a new directory.
    To find out where the new directory is on your computer, see here.
  • If you use the "media library / cache" option you should reset it.
happy.neko
Project Member

Re: PS3 Media Server 1.60.0 is released

Postby nolt » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:36 am

THANK YOU!

Rock on...
nolt

Postby Madoka » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:42 am

Subtitles are a mixed bag in this release.

Good:
- .srt files with .mp4 video now uses the Override Styled Subtitle settings, which respects simple formatting like <i> for italics. Before it used the Plaintext settings which ignored all that.
- embedded subs seem to work fine, just like 1.54.

Bad:
- external .ass subtitles (with .mp4 files) are broken. With some subs, the subs lose all font, color, and position information and use the Override Styled Subtitle settings, many times leaving a jumble of text on the bottom of the screen. This may be because I don't have all the fonts installed, but with 1.54 it plays just like MPC-HC and looks the same. With others, the font information is intact, but the size is gigantic (and I know I have these fonts). Subtitles which with 1.54 take up the bottom 15% of the screen will now use 50% of the height of the screen. I had one long subtitle completely fill the screen. Again, this works fine with 1.54.

I have gone back to 1.54 as the only drawback (for me) is the loss of minor formatting with .srt files.
Madoka

Postby happy.neko » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Madoka wrote:Bad:
- external .ass subtitles (with .mp4 files) are broken. With some subs, the subs lose all font, color, and position information and use the Override Styled Subtitle settings, many times leaving a jumble of text on the bottom of the screen. This may be because I don't have all the fonts installed, but with 1.54 it plays just like MPC-HC and looks the same. With others, the font information is intact, but the size is gigantic (and I know I have these fonts). Subtitles which with 1.54 take up the bottom 15% of the screen will now use 50% of the height of the screen. I had one long subtitle completely fill the screen. Again, this works fine with 1.54.

As usual for proper troubleshooting make thread here viewforum.php?f=6 with debug.log, mediainfo and preferably file sample (with external subtitles).
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby Titanium » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:57 pm

happy.neko wrote:We have good news for animation and foreign-language film lovers. Subtitle support has been significantly improved with this release. Now you can expect results comparable to software PC video players.

I suppose that must be good news, for me, it wasn't. SRT don't show up any more after the upgrade. PS3 Media Server sees them, Transcode folder also sees them but they won't show during the playback, untranscoded or transcoded. Why? Downgrading to 1.54
Last edited by chocolateboy on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote the whole announcement
Titanium

Postby dallaverde » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:02 pm

Bad news for me. I'm trying to use the mac version, but nothing is working here, nor video or subtitle. And when i tried to down to 1.54 it didn't work too.
dallaverde

Postby johams80 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:58 am

This is not the best release. My ISO file was totally out of sync. I reinstalled version 1.54 and everything is working fine now.
johams80

Postby alexgen » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:37 pm

Been running PMS now for roughly a year on my linux server, everything has been working fine and I was even able to stream 1080p over wireless stutter free. Now I can't even stream 720p material using mediocre settings over wireless to my PS3 in 1.60, there's obviously something wrong with the release, since as soon as I went back to 1.54 everything worked fine again.

Back to the drawing board guys.
alexgen

Postby meskibob » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:11 pm

For the previous posters and anyone else thinking of posting an issue here, please follow the problem reporting guidelines and start a thread in the Support section of the forum, not here.
Thanks.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby happy.neko » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:11 pm

alexgen wrote:Been running PMS now for roughly a year on my linux server, everything has been working fine and I was even able to stream 1080p over wireless stutter free

This is technically impossible with transcoding. Maybe previously you were using Tsmuxer engine and now mencoder. Try select [tsmuxer] via #TRANSCODE# folder.
Anyway follow meskibob's advice if you want real help.
happy.neko
Project Member

Next

Return to Announcements