Easy setup guide for Ubuntu / Debian (DEB packages and repo)

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Easy setup guide for Ubuntu / Debian (DEB packages and r

Postby happy.neko » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:25 pm

SlasherIT wrote:Damn :(. So what are my options for my Debian based system?

What exactly is your problem with debian compatible "ps3mediaserver - 1.51.0+git+mencoder34587-3natty1"?
If you don't like how daemon startup works you can add ps3mediaserver to GNOME autostart (assuming your PC has graphical environment).
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby SlasherIT » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:23 pm

Well see, let me tell you what I want to achieve.

I need a working PMS, that as soon as it reaches the login window, it automatically works. It should not need for a user to login, or do anything after its turned on. Can this be achieved with the version of PMS you stated above?
SlasherIT

Postby carlettod » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Hello happyneco,
I have made ​​some changes to your upstart script (ps3mediaserver.conf) to add support for pidfile.

I tested it on Ubuntu Server 12.04 without any problem (start, stop, restart, status and "upstart respawn feature" in case of crash)...

If you want to integrate it in next version of your deb package, you will allow greater control of the daemon (e.g.: use of "monit" monitoring system daemon or similar softwares)!

By
Carlo

P.S: I have also included your last default file with my email in "Authors" section...if you want replace it in deb...thanks :D !
Attachments
ps3mediaserver_init_new.zip
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
carlettod

Postby SlasherIT » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Bump.
SlasherIT

Postby gauched » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks for this. I've just installed it on a headless Ubuntu 12.10 system. However, in attempting to set up daemon, I've run into a problem. The instructions say:

1. Configure PS3 Media Service in GUI mode as normal user, save and quit.
2. Edit /etc/default/ps3mediaserver

I can't do the first step because I have no GUI. However, I do have a working PMS.conf from an old installation, so I'm assuming I can just copy that to the appropriate location?

Move of a problem is that I have no /etc/default/ps3mediaserver directory. I'm uncertain as to whether that means I should create it or not. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks
gauched

Postby happy.neko » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:01 pm

SlasherIT wrote:Well see, let me tell you what I want to achieve.

I need a working PMS, that as soon as it reaches the login window, it automatically works. It should not need for a user to login, or do anything after its turned on. Can this be achieved with the version of PMS you stated above?

Easiest way is to enable autologin.

gauched wrote:I can't do the first step because I have no GUI. However, I do have a working PMS.conf from an old installation, so I'm assuming I can just copy that to the appropriate location?
Move of a problem is that I have no /etc/default/ps3mediaserver directory. I'm uncertain as to whether that means I should create it or not. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

You can copy your old PMS.conf or edit one from /etc/skel/.config/ps3mediaserver/ directory which may have better defaults.
/etc/default/ps3mediaserver is file and will be created after package install.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby gauched » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:57 pm

happy.neko wrote:You can copy your old PMS.conf or edit one from /etc/skel/.config/ps3mediaserver/ directory which may have better defaults.
/etc/default/ps3mediaserver is file and will be created after package install.

Thanks, I managed to get it working via the package. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem I had with a manual install. That is, when I restart my server I am told that PMS is running:

Code: Select all
> status ps3mediaserver
ps3mediaserver start/running, process 738

However, my PS3 does not see PMS until I restart it. Even if I search for media servers, or restart my PS3, it still doesn't find it. To fix, I have to log onto my server and:

sudo restart ps3mediaserver

It's not a huge deal - just an annoyance and a deterrent from shutting down my server. However, if you have any insight I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again.
gauched

Postby happy.neko » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:30 pm

gauched wrote:It's not a huge deal - just an annoyance and a deterrent from shutting down my server. However, if you have any insight I'd love to hear it.

1. stop server
2. remove debug.log
3. restart server
4. post debug.log to http://pastebin.com/
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby SlasherIT » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Is there another way to do it then setting autologin? Because I am not the one who uses this computer as much...
SlasherIT

Postby gauched » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:37 pm

happy.neko wrote:1. stop server
2. remove debug.log
3. restart server
4. post debug.log to http://pastebin.com/

OK, here you go: http://pastebin.com/qeiHT01p Presumably the important part is this exception:

ERROR 2012-07-15 13:33:50.137 [main] A serious error occurred during PMS init
java.net.SocketException: No such device
   at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(Native Method) ~[na:1.6.0_24]
   at java.net.AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:168) ~[na:1.6.0_24]
   at java.net.MulticastSocket.joinGroup(MulticastSocket.java:300) ~[na:1.6.0_24]
   at net.pms.network.UPNPHelper.getNewMulticastSocket(UPNPHelper.java:149) ~[pms.jar:na]
   at net.pms.network.UPNPHelper.sendAlive(UPNPHelper.java:115) ~[pms.jar:na]
   at net.pms.PMS.init(PMS.java:531) [pms.jar:na]
   at net.pms.PMS.createInstance(PMS.java:801) [pms.jar:na]
   at net.pms.PMS.main(PMS.java:873) [pms.jar:na]
gauched

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support