DVB-T Tuner

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

DVB-T Tuner

Postby The Redeemer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi,
I'm using PS3 Media Server to stream video to my phone or my PS3.
I want to stream DVB-T too, but I don't know how, I tried to use web.conf but it seems to don't work.
I'm french and it's difficult for me to explain my problem in english.

Here VLC m3u file to play 2 channels from my DVB-T Tuner:
Code: Select all
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0, TF1
#EXTVLCOPT:dvb-adapter=0
#EXTVLCOPT:dvb-frequency=514166000
#EXTVLCOPT:dvb-bandwidth=8
#EXTVLCOPT:program=1537
dvb-t://
#EXTINF:0, France 2
#EXTVLCOPT:dvb-adapter=0
#EXTVLCOPT:dvb-frequency=490166000
#EXTVLCOPT:dvb-bandwidth=8
#EXTVLCOPT:program=257
dvb-t://

I try to load .m3u from the web:
videostream.Web,TV=TV,http://***/TNT.m3u,http://***/img.png
but it's not working
I tried dvb-t from:
videostream.Web,TV=TF1,dvb://frequency=514166000,http://***/img.png
The line does not appear in my UPNP client

Thanks for all and sorry for my poor english...

edit:
VLC 2.0.2
PMS 1.54.0
PS3 & Android
The Redeemer

Re: DVB-T Tuner

Postby The Redeemer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:36 pm

No answer yet, so is it impossible for now ?
The Redeemer

Postby The Redeemer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:45 am

1 year later, I still can't use PS3 Media Server to Stream DVBT.

I tried:
videostream.Web,TV=TF1 HD,dvbt:// :dvb-adapter=0 :dvb-frequency=746166000 :dvb-bandwith=8 :program=1281

And Still nothing in my upnp explorer.

Any idea ?

Edit: PMS 1.82
The Redeemer

Postby grobinson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:24 am

Today I downloaded the latest PMS (1.90.1) and got the Web plug-in (pmsencoder-2.0.0-rc3.jar). You need at least 1.90 to work with the plug-in according to the blurb. This is what worked for me.

1. I had to copy my "Web.conf" from the "Program Files/PS3 Media Server" folder to "ProgramData/PMS" folder where "PMS.conf" also resides.

2. I edited "Web.conf" to add "videostream.Web,TV=VLC,http://192.168.1.2:8080". (My home network is 192.168.1.xxx and 2 is the static address of PC running PMS)

3. I then restarted "PS3 Media Server" so it would include the Web folder with my new stream info.

4. Using VLC 2.1.3 (Rincewind):
- From the menu select "Media" > "open capture device "
- From the "Capture Device" tab, select "capture mode" of "Tv-digital" then select the options appropriate for your setup (I chose "DVB-T", frequency 177500 for channel 7 digital in Brisbane Australia, and bandwidth 7 MHz - I got these settings from my "TV Scheduler" application system setup), and select "Stream" as the output mode
- Just click "Next>" from the "Source" window that pops up
- For "Destination Setup" select "HTTP" from the dropdown list and click "Add"
- Leave "Port" as "8080" (unless you prefer something else for some reason but it must be the same is the port you put in Web.conf) and click "Next>"
- I left "Activate Transcoding" ticked but I'm playing around with that at present and it seems to work without it for Standard Definition (720 x 576)
- I created my own "Profile" by clicking the "Create a new profile" button and chose
- for encapsulation "MPEG-PS" ,
- for "Video codec" I ticked "Keep original video track" (along with ticking the "Video" box of course)
- for "Audio codec" I ticked "Keep original video track" (along with ticking the "Video" box of course)
- and no subtitles
then clicked "Next>"
- For the "Option setup" window I ticked the "Miscellaneous Options" of "Stream all elementary streams"
- Then click "Stream"
VLC then has a blank window but the timeline indicates that it is streaming.

5. Go to the PS3 and select "Video" from the XMB then "PS3 Media Server" > "Web" > "TV" > "VLC - [PMSEncoder]. It takes 20 seconds to a minute to fire up (for me anyway).

With the setup above I found I could only stream Standard Definition programs (720 x 576, stereo) but I could change programs (within the one channel) from VLC by using the menu "Playback" > "Program" > programs ...

It also seems that if you want to narrow VLC down to only one channel (which makes more sense to me to reduce processor and streaming overhead), you do it in the "Capture Device" window by ticking "Show more options" and preceding whatever appears in the "Edit Options" with ":program=program number" but I haven't got that one absolutely figured out yet as VLC crashed one time when I did that - but only once.

From the PS3 I could then pause any streaming but rewinding didn't work. My son will be happy when dinnertime interrupts any TV show he wants to watch. Hope this helps you "Redeemer" and anyone else.

Cheers,
Grant
grobinson

Postby The Redeemer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:07 am

Thanks for your Help, but it's not as easy as I was thinking...

Anyway, Thanks a lot.
The Redeemer

Postby grobinson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:41 am

Don't give up hope! It was a lot easier than I thought and, I must admit, I've been looking at this for years. It's the easiest setup I've found that works between MythTV, Nero MediaHome, TVersity Setup, and other dead ends that I've had a look at (like Pseudo TV for XBMC) and I reckon it would take about 30 minutes (including installing PMS and the plug-in) now that the trial and error has been sorted out. To make things even easier I've now made some one-line batch files using notepad with associated desktop shortcuts (one for each channel) so that my wife and kids can simply click on an icon to start the VLC process. The batch files look like this :

start "" "c:\program files\videolan\vlc\vlc.exe" dvb-t://frequency=191625000:bandwidth=7 :program=1025 :dvb-adapter=0 :live-caching=300 :sout=#transcode:http{mux=ps,dst=:8080/} :sout-keep

This is simply a copy of the command line that the menu selections (from my earlier post) generate for VLC. The one above is for Channel 9 (program 1025) of the Nine Network (frequency 191625000) in Brisbane, Australia. Channel 99 from the same network looks like this (The only difference being the program number 1030):

start "" "c:\program files\videolan\vlc\vlc.exe" dvb-t://frequency=191625000:bandwidth=7 :program=1030 :dvb-adapter=0 :live-caching=300 :sout=#transcode:http{mux=ps,dst=:8080/} :sout-keep

BTW, I have a dual tuner card, hence the "dvb-apaptor=0" option to tell VLC to use the first tuner.

In reading someone else's efforts and recalling my own efforts to stream HD TV recordings, I have figured out that by changing the "mux" to "ts" from "ps" I can stream High Definition channels in full HD (1920 x 1080, 5.1 AC3) to the PS3 across my wired network. Here's Nine Network HD Channel 90:

start "" "c:\program files\videolan\vlc\vlc.exe" dvb-t://frequency=191625000:bandwidth=7 :program=1152 :dvb-adapter=0 :live-caching=300 :sout=#transcode:http{mux=ts,dst=:8080/} :sout-keep

I now have a small collection of desktop icons (even changed the icon to be the VLC one) for my favourite channels. The "X" button on the PS3 controller works as Play/Pause and with the right analogue stick you can even do slow motion - forward. Still haven't figured if I can rewind yet but, hey, it's only day one!

Would it be helpful if I also posted links to the downloads required? You seem to have the "frequency" inputs required. If you use the latest VLC version (which is all I did), the menu "Tools" > "Codec information" gives you the "program" numbers if you want to restrict the stream to one channel.

Cheers,
Grant
grobinson

Postby The Redeemer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:24 am

Thanks for your help, but I don't wanna use this with my PS3 only but with android device too, and every where in my house.
With your solution, I need to be near my computer to change the channel.

Android can play everything, even .ts files from DVB-T Tunner, that's why I don't understand why there is no way to send them directly whitout transcoding.

But thanks a lot, you are the only one who tried something to help me.

At this time, I can use some Android application to have French TV to my phone and tablet, but this is in poor quality (480p ~ 300 kbps).
The Redeemer

Postby grobinson » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:28 am

Yes I can understand you want to do this for multiple devices. I've recently got a galaxy tab that I can stream to, but there's no option to change channel, as you point out.

I've had an application called TV Scheduler that I see has been changed/upgraded to DV Scheduler which now includes options to stream the DVB-T stream. I haven't got the streaming part working yet but I've read comments from others on forums who seem to have had success. It says it uses VLC to stream and, as we know, streaming from VLC works so I figure it will just take a bit of time and effort. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Grant
grobinson

Postby The Redeemer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:31 am

I apologize for the following comment, it's hard for me to speak in english.
I have VODOBOX Android Server, it's working but it's not free and the developpers are assholes (I was wondering them to change some setting in VLC, setting I was checking with Process Explorer, and they don't answer me but they are now killing their own process when Process Explorer is starting)

It have some bugs but it's working even if you are not connected on WiFi.
The Redeemer

Postby grobinson » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:18 am

I googled VODOBOX and now I think I understand what you are trying to achieve. Using the VLC solution I can stream DVB-T to my (android) Galaxy Tab using UPnPlay (free from the Play Store) connecting to PS3 Media Server and selecting the VLC stream I mentioned before. However, as you say, there's no channel changing this way. DV Scheduler says it uses VLC to stream so I'm looking to use DV Scheduler (which has a web interface I can access from the Galaxy Tab) to change channels and do the streaming via VLC.

Cheers,
Grant
grobinson

Return to General Help and Support