What is the best HW/SW configuration for PMS?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

What is the best HW/SW configuration for PMS?

Postby qtpie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi all,

I am fairly new to PS3 and PMS... so far, I absolutely love PMS and prefer it over Tversity because it can stream ISOs and MKVs to the PS3 with subtitle... This is *almost* the perfect solution for streaming... except that when streaming HiDef 1080p movies, the video stutters real bad in real-time...

My question for all of you is "What is the best Hardware/Software configuration to run PS3 Media Server so that we can stream full 1080p movies in real-time?"

Specifically, please let us know the followings:

1. What OS is best to use? Windows (XP or Vista), MacOS, or Linux (which flavor?)
2. What is CPU? Pentium4, Dual-core, Quad-core?
3. How much memory is required? 2Gb or 4Gb?
4. Do we need a faster connection between PMS and PS3? 10/100/1000? Is wireless sufficient?
5. Any other specific settings in PMS which can improve the real-time transcoding of 1080p movies?

Overall... I am happy with PMS and think it is an awesome program, much more superior over Tversity. Now, only if we can figure out how to stream 1080p MKV movies in real-time... It would be PERFECT!!!

Thanks to the PMS team
qtpie

Re: What is the best HW/SW configuration for PMS?

Postby VinceNL » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:08 pm

qtpie wrote:Hi all,

I am fairly new to PS3 and PMS... so far, I absolutely love PMS and prefer it over Tversity because it can stream ISOs and MKVs to the PS3 with subtitle... This is *almost* the perfect solution for streaming... except that when streaming HiDef 1080p movies, the video stutters real bad in real-time...

1. I use Windows Vista Ultimate
2. My CPU is E6600 Core2Duo at 2,4 Ghz
3. I use 2 GB
4. Wireless is definetaly insufficient. 100 Mbps also is when streaming 1080p + 5.1. Go 1Gbit if you can!
5. Nah, with mkv's you don't even have to use the ##Transcoded## folder at most times. (except when u need subs ;) )

I play everything at the res in which it comes in. No stuttering on the bird scene of Planet Earth (great benchmark for testing)

There u go!
VinceNL

Postby Joksi » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:08 am

1. I think Windows is best compatible at the moment, Im using Vista 32bit.

2. The faster the better, of course :) Im using a AMD Dual Core 5200+ 2,6Ghz .

3. I have 3GB memory

4. Wireless is very unstable, most of the time. It *can* be suffiecient for various HD 720p TV episodes, but movies I have not that good experience. You will also have to play with the quality profiles. 1080p just forget it on WiFi. 100Mbps *should* be enough in almost all cases, i have no problems with 1080p MKV movies as they peak not more then 72Mbps (the ones Ive tried). I think gigabyte is good, but absolutely not required. The thing is that often when one tink the bitrate peaks over 100Mbps, it isnt in fact true because its a syncronization problem between the buffer and your CPU. The CPU cant keep up, simple as that. So with gigabit youll have even harder to transcode that high bitrate with the same CPU.

5. Well, of course, the most important two things are choosing right MPEG2 quality profile and disable SkipLoopFilter for h264 for a slower CPU. Also using the beta MEncoder in 1.03, optimized for HD.
Joksi

Postby Joksi » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:10 am

VinceNL wrote:
qtpie wrote:Hi all,

1. I use Windows Vista Ultimate
2. My CPU is E6600 Core2Duo at 2,4 Ghz
3. I use 2 GB
4. Wireless is definetaly insufficient. 100 Mbps also is when streaming 1080p + 5.1. Go 1Gbit if you can!
5. Nah, with mkv's you don't even have to use the ##Transcoded## folder at most times. (except when u need subs ;) )

I play everything at the res in which it comes in. No stuttering on the bird scene of Planet Earth (great benchmark for testing)

There u go!

Where can I find this Planet Earth sample?
Joksi

Postby kurthest » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:01 pm

1. Using Vista Ultimate x64, works like a charm
2. I'm not sure if you really need a very powerful CPU, I'm using a Intel QX9650 (Core 2 Extreme) that's clocked to 4 GHz, and it's far from stressed when transcoding the highest quality 1080p movies (typically up to 10% cpuload across the cores).
3. 8 GB
4. I could only play 720p with poor bitrate with WiFi. Now using gigabit ethernet and it flows without any hickups whatsoever. Max peak I've seen is 85 Mbps.
5. Make sure it's set up correctly with regards to how many cores it uses (it should detect this automatically). The only other thing I can think of is what codecs you are using.
kurthest

Return to General Discussion