PMS SubJunk Build

Download and discuss official beta builds here

Re: PMS SubJunk Build

Postby happy.neko » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:16 am

SubJunk, I want to thank you for your outstanding support. Good luck with UMS fork, I hope it works out best for both projects.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby SubJunk » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:28 am

Thanks, happy.neko, I appreciate it and good luck to you too :)
SubJunk

Postby ExSport » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Hopefully both projects will include the best from each other.
So PMS will not loose SubJunk MEncoder builds and UMS will not miss any PMS fixes 8-)
Thanks to all guys for PMS/UMS development!
ExSport

Postby taconaut » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:33 am

Does UMS have to be in its own repository? It is a fork of pms and you seem to want to keep it up to date with the pms trunk. Seing happy.nekko's modifications in the UMS repo, it is not visible where the initial commit came from and the check in is being done with your user account.
If UMS was a fork of pms, it would be easier to merge changes for both directions and the history would be clear.

From my point of view, it seems like a big overhead to maintain 'good' changes in sync.
Since I've started adding changes for pms-mlx I've always wanted to use the powerful transcoding and streaming features of pms without having to worry about how the underlying functionalities work; I instanciate a RealFile, set the thumbnail and name and the pms magic does the job to stream the video as it has to to my ps3. Now this base is drifting apart and I can't tell which will be 'better'.

Now UMS has the external libraries in its own google code repo, the web page is almost the same and the code on GitHub is in its own repo without any link back to pms.

Hope we can find a way to minimize this kind of maintenance efforts.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby SubJunk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:26 am

It's better for me to do the changes manually, especially since the latest PMS commits are using different formatting to the rest of the codebase, so I'm fixing that as I commit. We're also managing our code commits differently to how PMS does now, with branches for each feature. It's just more organised and it gives me a chance to see and modify each bit of new code before it's added, like a preliminary QA process.
SubJunk

Postby taconaut » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:57 pm

Ok, unfortunately this only works one way. It is hard to integrate your changes into pms as it isn't visible without digging where they initially come from.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby SubJunk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Whenever code from PMS has gone into UMS it has been noted in the revision comment with a link to the source revision so hopefully that takes care of any digging for origins :)
SubJunk

Postby phrozenstare » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:54 pm

i like the new auto update feature but when i go look at the changes made it states it is recommended to uninstall the old version. so if that is recommended what is the reason to keep the auto update feature?
phrozenstare

Postby SubJunk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:48 pm

phrozenstare wrote:i like the new auto update feature but when i go look at the changes made it states it is recommended to uninstall the old version. so if that is recommended what is the reason to keep the auto update feature?
Most users won't get any advantage from uninstalling before installing, but it's there just as a guideline
SubJunk

Postby Gareee » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:57 pm

I was just wondering about that update mention myself, since I had an auto update today.

Speaking of updates, I thought of a feature I'd really like to see in navigation. Naming the destination folders with my own names. (My files are sprawled out on 2 external drives and my main C drive, and being able to rename an entry to something like "Sci Fi Movies" or "Animated Series" would be nice.
Gareee

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Builds